Women’s soccer fights for 1-1 draw vs. Holy Cross

The women’s soccer team scored first, then held on for a 1-1 draw against Holy Cross at the Ridley Athletic Complex on Saturday. The Hounds remain unbeaten in Patriot League play and now sit at an overall record of 4-5-1. Holy Cross added to its list of tie games with a record of 2-2-5.

Loyola opened the scoring in the 37th minute. A corner kick from Nicole Rivas ’21 led to a shot attempt by Taylor DiMarco ’21. DiMarco’s shot rebounded to Sarah Bayer ’22, who buried the shot to score her third goal of the season. 

Holy Cross found the equalizing score in the opening minutes of the second half after a long throw-in led to a powerful header from Samantha Peters.

The Hounds had chances to regain the lead but could not convert. Ariel Tillman ’21 had a quality chance in front turned away by Sophia Lettieri. Lettieri then saved a penalty kick by Hannah Hoefs ‘20 in the final minutes to keep the score even.

Two more attempts by Hoefs were turned away in extra time—one by Lettieri and the other by the crossbar. Goalie Paige Sim ’23 made a clutch save in extra time. She had seven saves on the day, which is a career-high.

The score remained tied through two extra time periods, and neither team could pull away for a victory. With the draw, the Hounds are now 3-1-1 in their last five contests.

Loyola stays at Ridley to face American University on Wednesday night. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.

Featured Image Courtesy of Craig Chase.