The Atlanta Falcons: 2024’s Dark Horse

Via Kirk Cousins Instagram
Via Kirk Cousins Instagram

The following represents the opinion of the student reporter and does not represent the views of Loyola University Maryland, the Greyhound, or Loyola University’s Department of Communication.

The Atlanta Falcons finished their 2023 season with an embarrassing 48-17 loss to their division rival The New Orleans Saints. The value of this game died halfway through, when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat Carolina 9-0, ultimately eliminating both teams from a playoff spot. Atlanta’s season ended with then-Head Coach Arthur Smith berating Saints Head Coach Dennis Allen for a controversial play call late in the game, which Smith felt was disrespectful with the score being what it was. Either way, Arthur Smith would be relieved of his duties just hours after the conclusion of their season, an early indication of Atlanta’s plans to shake things up for the 2024 season. 

Arthur Smith’s tenure in Atlanta can best be described as unacceptably mediocre. With respectable defenses, a free agent acquisition of safety Jessie Bates III, and a young core of Drake London, Bijan Robinson, and Kyle Pitts (the current highest drafted TE); Smith was able to accomplish just three straight 7-10 records. Furthermore, the 22’ and 23’ seasons saw the Tampa Bay Buccaneers win the NFC South with just 8-9 and 9-8 records. The NFL is very much a “what have you done for me lately” league and although Smith has a respectable track record in the NFL, he simply could not put it together in a make-or-break year. In a season that saw the Falcons miss the playoffs by only three games, the team suffered losses to the rebuilding Cardinals, the pathetic Panthers, and the laughable Commanders.  

So, with players aging and contract years dwindling the Falcons sought to make a splash this offseason and make themselves what’s called in the industry as “true contenders.” On the top of Atlanta’s offseason list was to acquire a seasoned NFL quarterback. In two seasons with the team Desmond Ridder amassed a lowly 19 total touchdowns, 27 turnovers, and one embarrassing DoorDash sponsorship. Instantly there were rumors of a trade for Justin Fields. While Fields has shown flashes of greatness throughout his years with the Bears, he is still a question mark in many aspects due to a lack of consistency and few wins under his belt. Ultimately, the Falcons signed veteran quarterback Kirk Cousins to a 4-year, $180,000,000 contract, including a $50 million signing bonus, $100 million guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $45 million.  

Cousins has put up respectable numbers in his 12 years in the league, consistently throwing more than 25 touchdowns and less than 15 interceptions per year, as well as having a career QBR of 98.2. He started off his 2023 campaign on fire, averaging 291 yards per game before a season-ending achilles injury in week 8. Kirk’s experience and proven ability at quarterback undoubtedly give the Falcons a greater chance to win, in the regular season at least. Despite leading his team to the playoffs three separate times, he has only amassed one win after week 18. 

Despite this, there are many reasons to feel good about Atlanta rolling into 2024. With a weak division, a proven defense, a young offensive core, and, at his worst, a veteran quarterback in Cousins, the Falcons are my favorites to surprise the league in the upcoming season.