Loyola Women’s Lacrosse Player Finds a Home Away from Home

Larry French

Being a Division I athlete comes with its own set of hardships. These challenges are felt in a whole new way for international athletes. Georgia Latch ‘25 on the Loyola women’s lacrosse team, found a way to embrace these challenges and make the most of her college experience. 

Coming from across the world, Latch left her family behind in Australia to continue her lacrosse dreams. She has two older brothers and says that she is very close with her family. Though leaving her family was a tough process, Latch put her faith in one person, Coach Jen Adams. 

“Leaving home was hard, especially when I didn’t exactly know what to expect. I didn’t know anyone here except my coach, and I was leaving everyone that I knew on the other side of the world,” Latch said. 

Loyola women’s lacrosse has been a successful program and has recently won the Patriot League Championships. Latch decided to travel across the world to continue her lacrosse career which further emphasized her trust in the program.  

“I chose Loyola because I knew that there have been a few Australians that also thought it was a good fit. I also chose Loyola because of Jen Adams. Not only is she one of the best to ever play lacrosse but she is also Australian,” Latch said. 

Latch’s career so far has been filled with noteworthy moments. Some of those moments are when she received the Patriot League Rookie of the Year in 2022, Patriot League Attacker of the Year in 2023, USA Lacrosse Magazine All-America Honorable Mention in 2023, and she was also part of the Australian National Team 2022 World Champions. Though her decision about Loyola has proven successful based on accolades, Latch touched on how being homesick still affects her in her third year away from home. 

“It’s the worst during holidays, like Thanksgiving, or at tailgates when everyone can see their family but me. The hardest part of being an international athlete is being so far from home, not being able to see your parents when you’re having a hard week or if you need help when you’re sick,” Latch said. 

Though distance keeps her away from her family for most of the year, Latch has created a new family within the Loyola community. Her favorite part about Loyola is being a part of this team. 

“They helped me so much when I was first getting my bearings. A lot of the time they fight over me when it’s holiday season and I have to decide where to stay. They make life so much easier, and I wouldn’t trade them for anything else,” Latch said. 

The conference playoffs ended for the Loyola Greyhounds with a nail biter win in overtime versus Navy. With less than a minute and a half in the championship game, Latch scored the game-winning goal, which led the Greyhounds to its eighth Patriot League title. 

This win will take Loyola to the NCAA Championship where they match up against Duke. Latch is sure that her team is focused on doing what they have been all season. 

“The focus for the rest of the season is to keep doing us. We do so much better when we have fun, and I think we miss that part sometimes. I think we can go far; the goal is always to make it to championship weekend, and I think that this team is capable of anything,” Latch said.