A Global Taste of Baltimore

Diversify your tastebuds at these five Baltimore restaurants!
Ryn Smith

My work with the Esperanza Center has provided me with firsthand knowledge on the growing number of immigrant-owned businesses in Baltimore. Thanks to this immersion into the city’s culture, as well as a general love for various cuisines, I have been able to choose five diverse restaurants from Baltimore that I would highly recommend.

Namaste Baltimore is an authentic Indian restaurant located near Roland Park. It is a casual, family-owned business that offers a fine dining experience just off West Cold Spring. There is a welcoming energy to the space, and the family and staff are all very kind. It is a vegan and vegetarian-friendly place with an open bar that also serves non-alcoholic drinks. It is equipped with an Indian clay tandoor oven, Indian herbs as well as Nepalese spices, and offers an assortment of dishes from appetizers to desserts.

Just across the Bay of Bengal, Thailand is the next stop on our cultural tour. Bodhi Federal Hill is Baltimore’s hotspot for real-deal Thai food. The establishment is an upscale dining experience, with beautiful gold leaves hanging from the ceiling and an inviting ambiance. Bodhi features various Thai dishes such as drunken noodles and pad thai, catered to your desired spice level, and paired with your preferred protein. The rich spices will enchant your taste buds at every level of spiciness, and the protein of your choice will be prepared to perfection. To compliment the Thai spices, I recommend their sweet and refreshing Thai iced tea.

On our flight to Greece, also known as northbound on I-83, we arrive at our Hampden destination. Souvlaki is a proud-server of authentic Greek cuisine located on West 36th Street. “Souvlaki” meaning “skewer” is attributed to their menu’s skewered meats. You can also find “mezedes” or appetizers, as well as “merides” meaning platters. With a platter you are able to choose your protein, sauce, and side. A must try item on the menu is the tzatziki and fries, the fries are golden brown, crispy, and seasoned, and their tzatziki is unmatched. 

Luckily, we do not have an eighteen hour flight from Greece to Mexico. We simply have to go to one of three locations of Bandito’s in the Baltimore area – Towson, Federal Hill, and White Marsh. Known for their tacos and tequila, it is no surprise that Bandito’s is open until 2 a.m. on the weekends. If you are tired of Chipotle and Qudoba, head on over to Bandito’s for some variety. Look no further for plenty of choices for appetizers because they have come prepared. The menu has a delicious selection of nachos, empanadas, and quesadillas. If you are set on trying their famous tacos: make it a combo. A combo comes with two super-stuffed tacos and a side of rice and beans, for only $14. Mix and match margaritas and Mexi-crushes, but do not forget to take advantage of all day happy hour on Taco Tuesdays. 

On the opposite side of the North Atlantic Ocean, we land in Senegal. Nailah’s Kitchen provides Baltimore with genuine West African cuisine. Govanstown is fortunate to be the only location of Nailah’s that currently offers a “newly designed fine dining atmosphere.” Their locally sourced, fresh ingredients make for mouth-watering dishes such as the Lamb Maffe – a marinated lamb and cooked vegetable stew in peanut butter sauce- which can be paired with a side or two for under 20 dollars. With delicious dishes like this, it is no surprise that their Instagram hashtag is “#Senegalicious.”