Exploring Baltimore’s Burger Scene: Three Affordable Spots You Need to Try

Ryan Cahill

In my quest for good and affordable burgers in Baltimore, I discovered several standout spots that have a lot to offer. These three places cater to everyone, whether you’re a picky eater or have dietary restrictions. Clark Burger brings a touch of Canadian flair to the Baltimore burger scene with its famous poutine and a selection of mouth-watering burgers that combine quality and value. Abbey Burger, known for its custom burger options, allows diners to personalize their meal to their desires, ensuring a unique experience with each visit. Southside Burger Bar rounds out the list, offering a cozy atmosphere where diners can enjoy gourmet burgers and good vibes. Each burger spot has its own charm, making them must-try destinations for foodies looking for quality eats without breaking the bank in Baltimore.

Clark Burger 

Yelp Rating: 4.2 $$

My Rating: 4/5

The first burger spot I went to was Clark Burger, conveniently located just a few minutes from campus, next to the Senator Theater on York Road. Clark Burger offers many great burger options on their menu, as well as milkshakes and poutine. Personally, I have been to Clark Burger many times and have tried a variety of items on their menu. During my most recent visit to Clark Burger, the hostess told me the most popular burgers were the Clark Burger, Wake N Bacon Burger, and the Charmer. In the past, I’ve had the Clark Burger, so I went with the Wake N Bacon burger with a side of fries, and let me tell you, it was good. The Wake N Bacon burger is topped with a fried egg, smoked bacon, sharp white cheddar, fried onions, and sriracha mayo. Now, this may seem like a lot, but it all comes together for a mouth-watering bite. For those who may have dietary restrictions, Clark Burger also offers a turkey burger, veggie burger, and a build-your-own burger option.

Ryan Cahill

While I was there, I ran into Mac Di Rocco ’24, who was trying Clark Burger for the first time. 

“The location is perfect in comparison to campus, and I don’t know why I haven’t gotten it sooner. The proximity to campus and all the food options are what make Clark Burger special,” Di Rocco said. 

Di Rocco’s favorite on the menu is the crabby fries, and he highly recommends them for anyone visiting Clark Burger. So, if you haven’t been to Clark Burger yet, you should definitely make your way over and give it a try. Maybe even get the crabby fries.

Abby Burger 

Yelp rating: 3.3 $$

My Rating: 4.5/5

The next burger spot I went to was Abbey Burger. They have three locations around Baltimore: Federal Hill, Fells Point, and their Mt. Washington location, where I went. The Mt. Washington location is ten minutes away from campus, making it the most accessible. Abbey Burger offers a great variety of burgers on their menu, along with a build-your-own-burger option. They also offer a variety of game meats, which is why Hiking Club president David Costa ’24 enjoys their food so much.

“The food is great; all the different game meat options are what make Abbey Burger different from other places nearby,” Costa said.

Ryan Cahill

Costa also highly recommends trying the game meat sampler, which changes based on location for Abbey Burger. During my recent visit to Abbey Burger, I had the Whisky Jam Burger, which is the most popular burger on their menu. This burger has two smash burgers, whisky bacon jam, cheddar, BBQ mayo, and their classic bun, leaving you wanting more. However, I was called out for being basic by Izzy Guerrero ’24 because I should have chosen something more creative to showcase their fun menu.

“The menu and its unique options, like the peanut butter burger or the Simply AJ10, are what truly make Abbey Burger special,” Guerrero said.

Guerrero recommended building your own burger and being creative and having fun with it. For those with dietary restrictions, Abbey Burger also has gluten-free options. If you haven’t been to Abbey Burger yet, you should give it a try at any of their convenient locations.

Southside Burger Bar 

Yelp  Rating 4.2 

My Rating: 5/5

The last burger spot I went to was Southside Burger Bar. They are located in the Cross Street Market in Federal Hill, which is far from campus but definitely worth the trip. Their menu includes a bunch of great food options like wings, hot dogs, sandwiches, and, of course, burgers. Southside Burger Bar is somewhat similar to old-school burger spots where you walk in, sit at the bar, and order. There are no specialty burgers on the menu; it’s all build-your-own. Southside Burger Bar does include free toppings and premium toppings for a small price. I kept it simple, ordering an original cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, and their almost-famous Southside sauce. Their almost-famous Southside sauce has a spicy blend of tomatoes, onions, celery, ketchup, and their secret spices. All together, this burger was delicious, and I couldn’t put it down once I started eating.

In my quest for the perfect burger, these three places will fulfill your cravings while keeping your budget intact. From the Canadian-inspired eats at Clark Burger to the customizable feasts at Abbey Burger, and the nostalgic charm of Southside Burger Bar, each spot brings its own unique flavor to the table. Whether you’re in the mood for something traditional or looking to explore the boundaries of burger creativity, these establishments cater to every palate. But my favorite was the Southside Burger Bar, and I think it will be your favorite too.  So, the next time you find yourself bored on campus craving a burger, remember that great taste doesn’t have to come at a high price.