Alumni Embodies Vision and Core Values of Loyola

One aspect of Loyola University Maryland’s vision is to “provide students with a liberal education that transforms them, that ensures they place the highest value on the intellectual scale, and that instill in them an understanding that leadership and service to the world are intimately connected.”

The success of this vision could not be more proven than through alumni Dale Horn ‘00.

A graduate of Loyola’s MBA program in Finance, the 46-year-old was named to this year’s Forbes Best-In-State Wealth Advisors List, a ranking of the best financial advisors across the United States. Being named to this list is a strong recognition of Horn’s career of over 15 years “managing client’s financial lives, so they may fulfill their future goals.” 

After graduating with a BS in Biology from Dickinson College, the Philadelphia native was originally headed to medical school. Not knowing what to do after working at GBMC and Sheppard Pratt with practicing physicians, Horn applied to the MBA program at Loyola.

“I had only one microeconomics course and had to recreate an undergraduate business program in the beginning of the program [MBA],” Horn said.

The current Senior Vice President for UBS Financial Services’ Horn Wealth Management has Loyola’s program to thank for providing the “ability to speak and understand the language of business.” 

Recalling his days as a Loyola student, Horn remembers Dr. Ray Jones, who he worked for over the summer after his Strategic Process class, and Father Tim Brown, who he grew to know so well that he [Brown] performed his [Horn] wedding ceremony. 

However, Loyola did not only make an impact on Horn through education but also through Jesuit values—specifically service and the dedication to the greater good. 

Volunteering is a big passion for Horn, who currently serves as a member of the Board and Finance Committee of Living Classrooms Foundation (LCF) and as a member of the Finance and Facilitates Committee for Health Care for the Homeless in Baltimore. 

“The impact of these lessons [Jesuit values] helped to shape the charity work I pursue,” he said.

According to Horn, Living Classrooms Foundation does “an amazing job at disrupting the poverty cycle for local individuals through hands-on education, workforce development, and supporting health and wellness.”

Health Care for the Homeless currently cares “for more than 12,000 of those in need locally throughout the year,” providing services such as dental, physical, and behavioral health care. Securing both temporary and permanent housing for clients is another big part of the organization. 

And it doesn’t stop there, as Horn further shows a heart of service through the mentoring program American Corporate Partners (ACP), where once a year he mentors a veteran who is about to leave the service, offering advice and support in the transition from military to civilian life. 

“My current mentee, Tom, is leaving the Navy after several decades,” Horn said. “We spend a lot of time working on his real estate investment plan and were able to meet face to face in Baltimore. It has been exceptionally rewarding to help a hero however I can.”

When Horn isn’t volunteering or helping families with finances, he spends time with his family—wife Tracey, two daughters Reilly and Natalie, and two constantly entertaining dogs. 

For current business students, Horn encourages them to seize the opportunity to learn from others in class as well as professors. He also emphasized international business experiences he participated in at Loyola, which he still draws on today. 

“Keep an open mind and ear to those around you. One of the great things about Loyola’s MBA program is the diversity of the student body,” he said. “From age, to profession, or background, there is so much to learn from those around you. To this day, I still maintain a strong network, both inside and outside of Baltimore.”