Men’s Lacrosse Falls to Army in Senior Night Game

Kelenna Onukwugha

The Hounds fought hard in Friday’s match against Army but unfortunately, they could not hold off the now No. 1 seed team. With Army breaking a 10-10 tie late in the match with two more goals, they were eventually able to leave with a 13-11 win over Loyola. 

The teams were evenly matched throughout the game, with neither team scoring more than 3 points in a row. Luke Staudt made many key saves for Loyola’s defense, but not enough to keep Army’s offense from penetrating the Hounds’ defense and scoring. The evenly matched teams made watching the game even more exciting for fans. 

Freshman fan Isabella Singh describes the atmosphere in the stands between points. “The energy was great. There were [cheering] battles between the parents from Army and the students which was funny. I really enjoyed the game.” 

Viewer Victoria Marcondes ’27 commented on the back-and-forth nature of the game as well. 

“The score kept going back and forth like Loyola would score and then Army would score soon after so the score was always close and that was exciting. The stands were packed and it was pretty electric whenever we scored, even my friends who know nothing about lacrosse were super hyped,” Marcondes said.

According to the Loyola Greyhounds site, the 10-10 tie in the game occurred with a goal by sophomore attacker Matthew Minicus at 9:23 in the third quarter. After that, neither team scored for another 15 minutes. This tie was broken by the Army Black Knights four minutes and 31 seconds into the fourth quarter when attackers Gunnar Fellows ’26 and Reese Burek ‘24 managed to score two goals in under 2 minutes. 

Then, with 4:43 left in regulation, grad student attacker Joey Kamish was able to score for the Hounds with a shot to the top right corner of the net. This brought the gap down to one goal between the Hounds and Black Knights.  

Army scored its final goal of the game with a faceoff win after Kamish’s goal, with senior midfielder Ryan Sposito scoring with 3:27 left on the clock.

The tension between the teams throughout the game was palpable, and the fans fed off of this energy. Nicole Sim ’25 commented on how she felt about the game as she watched from the stands.

“It was such a good game. We were neck and neck the whole time, and I couldn’t leave because it was that good of a game. I think our guys played the best that they could,” Sim said.

Unfortunately for the Hounds, the tight game ended in favor of the Black Knights. Fans were disappointed in the game’s outcome but expressed their continued support for Loyola Men’s Lacrosse.  

Singh ’27 also expressed her thoughts on the game’s outcome. “I feel like we definitely could have beaten Army, but we did well. The morale was up, it was a good game regardless. I hope they keep up their morale and keep winning,” she said.

The Hounds continue their season on Tuesday, April 30 in the Patriot League Quarterfinal.