Chordbusters Brings an End to the School Year

Julia Ayroso

With the end of the academic year inching closer, Chordbusters wrapped up the end of the year in harmony at McManus Theatre. 

The Loyola Belles and Chimes presented spring 2024 Chordbusters, the annual acapella event that showcases the vocal talents of the campus’ all-boys and all-girls acapella groups. 

The Belles and the Chimes have made some noise across campus. Night one of Chordbusters sold out within two days of the tickets being on sale. Not only does the show bring together the performers, it gives others around campus some excitement as well. This semester’s Chordbusters was an exciting way to finish off the school year. 

Julia Ayroso

The Chimes opened the event with “Feel Good Inc.” by Gorillaz, “Telephone Line” by Electric Light Orchestra, “Jealous” by Labrinth, “See You Again”/”After the Storm” from Tyler The Creator and Kali Uches, and “Dear Maria, Count Me In”/”Check Yes Juliet” from All Time Low and We The Kings. The setlist also included “Can’t Fight This Feeling”/”It’s All Coming Back to Me Now” from REO Speedwagon and Celne Dion, as well as “Bring Me To Life”/”In The End” by Evanescence and Linkin Park. They finished with a NE-Yo mashup. 

The Belles performed “Light On” by Maggie Rogers, “Love on the Brain” by Rihanna, an Abba medley, a Justin Timberlake medley, and mashups of “Ain’t No Sunshine”/”I Put a Spell on You”/” Man’s World” and “Of My Own Worst Enemy”/”Teenage Dirtbag”. The senior Belles performed “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac together. 

The end of each semester is finalized by a concert of both acapella groups performing a mix of their chosen pieces. 

Chimes president, Charlie Sayers shared what the show meant to him and the chimes as a whole.

Things behind the scenes were definitely tough including scheduling, reserving rooms, creating programs, and organizing Chordbusters as a whole, but it was all worth it as I got to witness the Chimes grow closer and closer with each passing rehearsal,” Sayers said. 

Julia Ayroso

The December concert had different combinations of all music from both the Chimes and Belles. The Belles performed a Fleetwood Mac medley, along with newer genres from Lizzy McAlpine, Frank Ocean and Boy Genius. The Chimes gave us their takes on the classic pop with “Rocket Man” and “Space Odyssey” combination and a mashup of “Seven Nation Army” with “Sweet Dreams.” Both The Chimes and The Belles came together in the end to perform “Santa Baby” for a Christmas special.

As this Chordbusters wrapped up our final semester of the 2023-24 school year, the acapella community sang farewell to their seniors. After many years, rehearsals and performances with their musical groups, the dedicated singers took their final bow at Chordbusters this past weekend. 

Belle Cheyenne Hendricks ’26 held excitement and sorrow for the 2024 spring Chordbusters and the departure of the senior class. 

“It’s nice but it’s bittersweet. I’m excited to just sing with all the seniors. It feels good to take all the practice and everything we’ve done and put it into one event. I think what’s most rewarding is that even though some of our senior friends are leaving, we are able to reflect on all the memories that we have together. I’m grateful for those moments that are bittersweet. I’m grateful but I’m really sad,” Hendricks said.

Both the Belles and the Chimes provided participants with amazing experiences, memories and just a fun way to be involved around campus. 

Hendricks said, “My experience with the Belles has been amazing, plentiful, and just very fun. It’s very supportive, it’s fun, we are literally making music with our mouths for fun. It has been  such a learning experience with how college works and navigating each other. It’s a really nice and fun experience.”

Julia Ayroso

The departing seniors had really brought together the Belles community. Most of them being a part of the group for their whole college experience, they have made this acapella group what it is today.

“It’s just been such a joyful community. I look forward to rehearsals three nights a week, for six hours, so it’s a lot of time but it’s the most fun. It’s such an amazing community of people, it’s a tight-knit group,” Claire Marino ‘24 said. 

The acapella community is said to miss these seniors. The Belles are singing farewell to five graduating seniors, while the Chimes lost two seniors as well. 

Marino said, “Leaving is weird. In a way I feel ready to graduate, generally. I am excited to graduate but bummed to leave some of my extra curricular activities, specifically the Belles because it’s such a unique thing to have in common with people and music is such a special way to connect with others. I do think I will absolutely miss that connection. I’m excited for the show but not excited that it’s my last one.”

Both the Belles and the Chimes sent off their presidents as well. Graduating seniors Charlie Sayers and Julia Scavone graduated from their positions in their acapella groups. 

Sayers said, “I will never forget my time with the Chimes as they are what kept me smiling through some of the most difficult times. I can’t believe my time with them is coming to a close, but I am so excited to see them continue to grow and become better in every way.”

For more information from the Belles and how to get involved in the following semesters, follow their instagram The Loyola Belles (@loyolabelles). More insight on the Chimes can be found instagram under Loyola Chimes (@loyolachimes). Both groups hold auditions at the beginning of each semester.