Loyola’s Class of 2024 is Honored at the 171st Commencement Exercises

Michaela Chambers

It was time for the caps and gowns as the sound of trumpets welcomed Loyola’s Class of 2024 into CFG Bank Arena on May 18. Beaming graduates filled the seats and waved to the camera flying above. This day marked the university’s 171st Commencement Exercises and was preceded by the Baccalaureate Mass and the Special Awards and Departmental Medals Ceremony on May 17. 

Once everyone was settled, the sound of trumpets faded away and Cheryl Moore-Thomas, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, approached the podium. She began with a bible verse that captured the essence of the day.

“This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it,” Moore-Thomas said. 

Each commencement, the university invites recipients of community awards to be recognized. These are awardees that Loyola believes have devoted their lives to the Jesuit mission. The first recipient was the Creating Assets, Savings and Hope, or CASH Campaign which received the Milch Award. This was followed by the recipient of the Newman Medal, Walter B. Doggett III, and Jasmine L. Jenkins ’06, recipient of the Carroll Medal. 

Paul Monteiro, Jr. ’24 is the Maryland Secretary of Service and Civic Innovation and received a doctor of humane letters during the commencement. His work is centered around service, volunteerism and encouraging future generations to serve their communities. He was officially recognized on stage as a member of Loyola’s Class of 2024 as well as the commencement speaker for this event.

Monteiro began by acknowledging that this class entered college in the middle of a pandemic. Despite this challenge, he stated that this class figured out how to make the most of their time. They found a way around the circumstances to extend a hand in connection towards one another.  

He said, “There will be valleys in your life as you go out of this place, but those are necessary moments and make mountaintop days like today all the more sweeter.” 

Monteiro transitioned into his life experiences and how others in his community had supported him and his family when they needed it most. This is what inspired him to do the same. Moreover, he stated that putting our differences aside is the key to serving and lifting each other up. Now, he hopes that the graduates will use their education to make a difference and to serve.

Following the commencement speech, it was time to call approximately 1,200 graduates to the stage. This number made up all of the students receiving their bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. Once the last name was called, the graduates were invited to move their cap’s tassel to the left. Additionally during this time, six graduating ROTC cadets were asked to stand and be recognized for their commitment to serving in the United States Army.  

Maddie Kammholz ’24, now holding a bachelor’s degree in marketing and information systems, was then invited to speak to her fellow classmates. She reflected on her years at Loyola and stated that it has brought her a feeling of wholeness. Now that they all have graduated, she emphasized that there is a big world outside of Loyola to be experienced. This world is a place where Kammholz said they can all make a difference. 

“Let us do our part in setting that world on fire – doing our individual parts as one small soul living on our great big earth,” Kammholz said. 

President Sawyer could not be with the students in person to address them as his son was also graduating that day. However, he created a video in advance that was played for the students. In the video, he stated that students have the support of their loved ones as well as a Loyola education. He believes that both of these will assist students in living a life of purpose. Sawyer ended by saying he is confident that they will. 

“I have so much faith in you and I can’t wait to see what the future holds. So, congratulations again. God Bless and Go Hounds,” Sawyer said. 

Green spotlights were then cast on the audience with an accompaniment of fog machines and trumpets. It is officially time for Loyola’s Class of 2024 to step foot into the world.

To revisit the day or to watch the event if you missed it, you can access it on YouTube

The Greyhound would like to congratulate each member of the Class of 2024 and sincerely thank each graduating writer and editor for their contributions. Katie, Bridget, Gianna, Peter, Claire, Tim, Laura, Johnny and Abby – thank you for all of your dedication and hard work during your time with us. We would especially like to thank our editor-in-chief, Marie Bosslett, and our managing editor, Jordan Durkin, for their high level of commitment and their leadership. 

We wish you all the best and we cannot wait to see what you do in the world!