Thumbs Up Thumbs Down: Midterm Madness and Fall Feels

“‘I’m still alive but I’m barely breathing’ —The Script” —The Greyhound Staff. Happy midterms, hounds! The past couple of weeks have been a bit rough with our first few waves of quizzes, exams, and papers, but that just makes the reward of fall break that much sweeter. Whether you’re heading home or hanging around Baltimore this weekend, I don’t think any of us would pass up on the opportunity to take a breather. Here are our top three up’s and down’s from last week:

Thumbs Up. Fall weather. This week has been the crispest we’ve had so far, with temperatures dropping a full 20 degrees seemingly overnight. Cue the loads of Instagram posts of people going pumpkin picking and gorging on apple cider donuts: fall is officially in full swing! If you’re like me and overestimated your ability to survive on summer clothes and a handful of cardigans, fall break will not only be a time to reload mentally, but a chance to swap out clothes and pack a bunch of sweaters. Nothing gets me good like a giant scarf to disappear into: a staple of every good fall outfit.

Thumbs Down. Midterms. Though it means we’re inching closer to longer breaks and the end of the semester, nothing brings stress to students like midterms exams (with the exception of finals, of course). Over the past few weeks, every study space on campus has been a little more packed than usual with students frantically making study guides and blowing through flashcards. But as well all know, hard work pays off, so the sleepless nights and stacks of copious notes won’t be for nothing. Good luck to everyone on their papers, exams, and presentations. You’ve got this!

Thumbs Up. I took the GRE! Whether or not my personal scores are worth celebrating (they were fine), nothing brings more relief to a college senior than completing another requirement for grad school applications. The whole test taking process itself was super weird: I showed up (basically half asleep) to a test taking center downtown and had to go through a metal detector before a few other screening processes. Some girls in front of me had to have their fingerprints taken, and we all spent three or more hours wearing noise canceling headphones. Every cubicle also had a camera hovering right above it, Big Brother style. A strange experience for sure, but the most important thing is that it’s over. Best of luck to those in the Class of 2019 who are taking their graduate exams soon! Show ’em what hounds are made of.

Thumbs Down. No consensus about Quavo’s new album. Opinions Editor Dan Ostmann and Business Manager Matt Sklar came into last Sunday’s meeting with differing opinions on Cuevo’s new album, which was released on Oct. 11. The self-titled debut album “Quavo Huncho” comes after Quavo’s rather successful career as a member of the trio Migos and featuring in Billboard’s Top 100 hits like DJ Khaled’s “I’m the One.” Despite comments about the album being “uninspired” and suggestions that the rapper take some pointers from Usher, “Quavo Huncho” is climbing its way up to number two on the Billboard 200 right after the “A Star is Born” soundtrack. It’s clear that the debate over whether or not the is a musical success goes beyond our editorial board—I guess it’s up to us to see for ourselves and give it a listen!

Thumbs Up. It’s #SpookySzn! Goodbye sun dresses and helloooo witch hats! The beginning of fall also means the start of one of the best times of the year filled with family, friends, costumes, and fun. I’ve seen so many spooky earrings in the past few days and I’m here. for. it. Last weekend, I went to the R. House Halloween market and it never ceases to amaze me how many creative, eclectic artists and artisans share their art with Charm City. I hardly ever leave a B’more craft market without buying anything, and this one was no exception. Halloween is sure to be a blast with everything from the Hampden parade and various festivities downtown. Get your spook on!

Thumbs Down. Matty’s Venti Episode. Last week, Social Media Editor Matty Brown was perhaps the epitome of a stressed college student, with schoolwork and other responsibilities leading to a “Venti Esisode” last Wednesday night. After attending a social media workshop with Club Council, Matty decided to (perhaps unwisely) order a venti coffee from Starbucks. Not a seasoned coffee drinker himself, Matty made the mistake of chugging the first half of his drink on his way back to his room at around 9 p.m., and the rest was history. The remainder of the night was filled with a mania that only caffeine can produce, leaving him to deal with the aftermath of his own self destruction, wide awake and absolutely crazed. Whether or not he actually finished his work is hard to say, but let’s hope he never does it again.

That’s a wrap for this week, folks. Don’t forget to drink water, eat food, and get some sleep. You probably know more than you think, and when in doubt, the answer is C (This is 0% legitimate advice. Please do not cite The Greyhound in the court of law). Have an awesome fall break, and recharge as much as possible!