Loyola offers Pass/No-Credit grading option for Spring semester

On Mar. 30, Vice President of Academic Affairs Amanda M. Thomas announced a Pass/No Credit option for undergraduate students during the Spring 2020 term. 

Beginning on Apr. 10, and concluding on Apr. 28 at 5 p.m., students will have the ability to declare P/NC for some or all courses. Students are not required to take this option, but upon completion, the decision to switch to P/NC is irreversible. 

With the decision of continuing the semester under the P/NC option, grades of C or above submitted by instructors will automatically convert to a “P,” while grades C- and below will convert to a “NC.”

Thomas also reminded the student body of the implications attached to the P/NC option. Neither NC or P grades will affect a student’s cumulative GPA, but selecting the option does not negate the obligation to complete course requirements. In the event of a no-credit grade, the course will fail to fulfill prerequisite requirements or be counted towards major or degree requirements. This outcome could also result in a retake of the course entirely.

“This may also mean that [the student] may not graduate on time,” Thomas said. 

The option also impacts Loyola’s control over many aspects of undergraduate life. By selecting the P/NC route, a student’s financial aid packages, scholarships, student-athlete eligibility, visa requirements, and graduate program admission may become jeopardized. 

Thomas urged students to “take the time [one] may need to carefully consider” the option, as it may affect progress toward a degree, financial aid, terms of probation, and other aspects of student life at Loyola.

“Please consider how electing the P/NC option might affect your future,” she said. “We encourage you to look at the situation from a variety of perspectives and to reach out to trusted advisors during this time.”

Loyola’s decision comes during “a time of great challenge and uncertainty,” and provided this opportunity “to help provide greater peace of mind as [students] continue to pursue [their] academic goals.” 

The official pass/no-credit form can be found on the Records Office website

Additional information about the option can be found at Loyola’s P/NC information website

Check back with The Greyhound for all academic updates at Loyola.