Karcz continues to stuff stat sheet, but Women’s basketball drops two weekend road games 

The women’s basketball team took a road trip through Maryland this weekend, traveling to Mount St. Mary’s and the University of Maryland for two tough road contests. Despite a late second-half comeback, the Greyhounds fell short at Mount St. Mary’s on Friday by the score of 81-75.

Stephanie Karcz ’20 put up another impressive stat line, posting 10 points, 11 rebounds, nine steals, and seven assists. Delaney Connolly ’21 led the team in scoring with 14 points along with seven assists, while Isabella Therien ’21 scored nine in her first appearance since last January. Her return to the lineup will provide a much-needed scoring boost to the Loyola offense. 

Alexis Gray ’20 contributed 12 points and four assists, and Ava Therien ’23 and Bri Rozzi ’23 both scored eight points off the bench.

The Mountaineers, who have now won three straight games, held a narrow 37-33 advantage at halftime thanks to a strong second quarter. The second half was a complete stalemate most of the way through, but the home team went on a run that put them up 73-63 with three and a half minutes to go. 

The Greyhounds responded with a run of their own, in which Karcz got a few of her steals which turned into Loyola baskets. The last of these steals gave the Hounds the ball, down 75-72 with just under a minute left. They could not convert, however, turning the ball over on a travel call.

The Mountaineers then made two free throws to make it a two-possession game, and this lead held strong in the final seconds to give Mount St. Mary’s the win.

Loyola then traveled to College Park to take on Maryland but fell 104-45 against the ninth-ranked Terrapins in a lopsided matchup.

Karcz led the way with 12 points, seven steals, six rebounds, and four assists, while sisters Isabella and Ava Therien each scored eight points. 

The Hounds held strong in the first quarter, only giving up 20 points and staying within reach off of a Rozzi three-point play to end the quarter trailing 20-10.

Loyola struggled mightily to find shot opportunities against the lengthy Maryland defense and only managed 7 points in the second quarter. The Terps offense also began to hit their stride, scoring 30 points on their way to a 50-17 halftime lead.

The home team did not let up in the third quarter, scoring 30 once again in the period to Loyola’s 14, officially putting the game out of reach. Ava Therien came off the bench and scored six of her eight points in the final quarter to provide a late bright spot for the Greyhounds. She has shot at a high percentage all season, currently holding a 61.4 field goal percentage.

After the tough weekend, Loyola is now 1-8 on the season. They take an extended break for finals, then return to the courts on Friday, Dec. 20 to take on Monmouth in Reitz Arena. Tip-off is at 1 p.m.

Featured Image Courtesy of Loyola Athletics.