Netflix film fails to inspire emotional engagement

I spent my Thanksgiving break cozying up to watch “Let It Snow,” a Netflix original romance filled with holiday cheer. Based on the novel by John Green, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson, “Let it Snow: Three Holiday Romances,” the film follows three plotlines of high school students facing different romantic dilemmas in a small, snow-filled town on Christmas Eve. While the movie is classified as a romance, it also touches upon conflicts regarding friendship, college, familial relations, and learning how to understand and 

Best friends Dorrie (Liv Hewson) and Addie (Odeya Rush) individually face obstacles while pursuing their love interests. They simultaneously struggle to preserve their own friendship. Dorrie is overjoyed when the cheerleader she previously spent the night with walks into the local restaurant she works at, only to spend her shift being ignored and wondering what went wrong. Addie, who spends the day driving around in a plow truck with a strange woman known as the Tin Foil Lady, is convinced that her boyfriend is cheating on her.  

Sparks fly between Julie (Isabel Merced), and the famous musician Stuart Bale (Shameik Moore). Julie is debating whether to accept her admission into Columbia University or stay home to tend to her sick mother when she (literally) runs into the beloved pop star, who shockingly doesn’t have a place to spend Christmas Eve. While forming a relationship, the two consistently clash, as they are unable to fully understand the other’s life.  

And, of course, as every romance movie possesses, there is the love triangle that entails a friendzone. Tobin (Mitchell Hope) finds himself hopelessly in love with his childhood best friend Angie (Kiernan Shipka), as she spends the day pining over the charming, athletic, college student JP (Matthew Noszka).  

There are essential messages incorporated into this cheery film, which encourages viewers to remember their values during the holiday season, a time full of selflessness, joy, and spending moments with loved ones. The obstacles that each set of characters face are especially relatable to a young audience. Who isn’t worried about their boyfriend or girlfriend cheating on them? Who doesn’t fight with friends? The conflicts depicted in the film are universal.  

However, there are too many conflicts occurring simultaneously, and the constant diversion from each plot is often frustrating when watching the film. While the three different plots are full of twists and turns and plenty of romance, the movie was unable to cover these storylines in depth and only skimmed the surface. 

It would be more compelling if the film omitted some of the less significant conflicts and rather focused on the specifics of each romantic dilemma. Why include Addie pouring a milkshake on another girl out of jealousy when we could watch the evolving love between Julie and Stuart? Was there a true need for the Tin Foil Lady character?  

While the messages in the film are relatable, the lack of depth around each prevents the audience from fully connecting with the struggles presented. For instance, many cope with the hardship of expressing their sexual identity to their family and friends, but “Let It Snow” barely touches upon those obstacles. Rather, the conflict is brushed off, which, unfortunately, is unrealistic. While this movie is understandingly supposed to be cheery, the messages were often conveyed in a childish manner, which is why this film would be more suitable for a younger audience.  

At the end of the movie, I also found myself unsatisfied with the ending of each storyline. Each plot was wrapped up seemingly due to time restraint. Love isn’t something that occurs in one night but is formed over time. In reality, a musician isn’t going to abandon his tour to come chasing after someone he met 12 hours prior. Of course, “Let It Snow” isn’t meant to be a serious film, but at some points, the plot felt so unrealistic and cheesy.  

“Let It Snow” is your quintessential Netflix original romance. Ranging from “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” to “The Kissing Booth,” Netflix original romances are lighthearted, but also commonly filled with average actors and a cheesy plot. Don’t get me wrong, these movies are fun to watch with friends during the holiday season, but are definitely not films that will leave the audience feeling some sort of emotion.

Image courtesy of imbd.com