Annapolis newspaper Capitol Gazette falls victim to mass shooting

On June 28, five people were killed and two others were injured in a shooting at the Capital Gazette, a local newspaper in Annapolis, Md. The shooter was Jarrod Ramos, a 38-year-old man from Laurel, Md. Ramos threw two smoke grenades and then walked into the building with a shotgun.

The first reported shots were at 2:40 pm. According to Phil Davis, a reporter at the Capital Gazette, Ramos shot through the glass door of the office at multiple employees after barricading the rear exit door. The Police officers arrived at the scene in sixty seconds after the first reported shots. Ramos was taken into custody, and after he was removed, over 170 people were safely escorted out of the building.

All five victims were employees at the Capital Gazette. Ramos has been charged with five counts of first degree murder, one count of attempted first degree murder, six counts of first degree assault, and eleven counts of the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

Ramos has had a long history with the Capital Gazette. In 2011, the newspaper published an article about his guilty plea to criminal harassment. The article “Jarrod wants to be your friend,” which is no longer on the website, was about a woman who said she was the victim of Ramos’ harassment.

In 2012, Ramos sued the Capital Gazette for defamation. The court ruled that since all of the facts in the article about Ramos are true, it cannot be regarded as defamation. After the judges’ ruling, Ramos began to make threats in the form of letters and on social media against the Capital Gazette.

This is the third deadliest mass shooting of 2018, after the Parkland, Fla. high school shooting where 17 people died and the Santa Fe, Texas shooting that left ten people dead.

Cover Photo: Courtesy of the Capitol Gazette