Bill Cosby Set to Face Court On May 24

U.S. Navy
100915-N-4790M-040 WASHINGTON (Sept. 15, 2010) Lanier Phillips, left, Bill Cosby and Ed LeBaron pose for a picture before receiving the Lone Sailor Award at the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C. The Lone Sailor award is presented to sea service veterans who have excelled with distinction in their respective civilian careers while continuing to exemplify the Navy core values of honor, courage and commitment. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Andrew Meyers/Released)
Tony Huerta Photo, Courtesy of Flickr
Tony Huerta Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Stand-up comedian Bill Cosby will face the courtroom on Tuesday, May 24 for his sexual assault case filed by ex-employee Andrea Constand. She reported that in 2004, Cosby drugged her and proceeded to rape her in his Pennsylvania home. According to ABC News, Cosby, who is now 78, was first accused of assault by Constand over 10 years ago, but the criminal charges have not come until now.

The Huffington Post announced that the Pennsylvania Superior Court rejected Cosby’s efforts to get the case thrown out. If convicted, Cosby could face up to a 10-year sentence for the aggravated indecent assault charge.

Cosby was the beloved father on “The Cosby Show” from 1984 to 1992. To the public, he was funny, inviting, and loving. But during those years, as well as before and after them, his victims saw him as frightening, hurtful, and aggressive. According to ABC News, over 50 women have come forward, most of whom have publicly shared their assault stories.

Back in December 2015, Cosby’s defense team explained their plans, as detailed by the ABC News article. “Make no mistake, we intend to mount a vigorous defense against this unjustified charge and we expect that Mr. Cosby will be exonerated by the court of law” the team said.

IrishDave5000 Photo, Courtesy of Flickr
IrishDave5000 Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Although Cosby hasn’t been charged, he did admit under oath that in the past, he would acquire prescriptions for the sedative Quaaludes and use it on women who he planned to have sex with.

Some people may think that these women are only coming forward to tarnish the image of a beloved celebrity, but stardom should never alter how people are handled in the court of law. Celebrity status by no means exempts a person from being guilty. Allegations of sexual assault are a serious matter, and should be treated as so, no matter who is involved. Celebrities are often placed on a pedestal in the eyes of the public because of the mere fact that they are famous.

It has taken years for Cosby to finally face trial because of the sexual assault allegations made against him. It wasn’t until October 2014 when male comedian Hannibal Buress made a joke about Cosby raping women that the public started to pay attention to the allegations against Cosby and to think about the horrific realities that came along with them. Many of the women that have come forward expressed how they felt silenced by the culture that adored Cosby. But now the truth will come out in court later this month, and hopefully justice will be served.

Feature Image: Official U.S. Navy Page Photo, Courtesy of Flickr URL