Overturn of Roe V. Wade Has Young Women Wondering, What’s Next?

The following represents the opinion of the student reporter and does not represent the views of Loyola University Maryland, the Greyhound, or Loyola University’s Department of Communication.

I have never seen anything like my social media feeds on June 24, 2022. The overturn of the 49-year-old court case, Roe v. Wade, had the majority of my close friends and acquaintances in an uproar. Roe v. Wade originally ruled that states controlling the legal right to abortion was unconstitutional, therefore making it a federal matter. Overturning this rule now allowed individual states to ban abortion, removing this healthcare option from states like Alabama, Texas, and Wisconsin. Others also changed their rules to permitting abortion only up to six weeks into a pregnancy. Females in those states now receive fewer opportunities than their mothers did years ago, therefore progressing backwards. The question is now – why do we make progress to retract it years later, and when does the pattern stop? The recurring method has been seen quite often within our government recently and, as an American female, I’d like my rights back.

Many different circumstances can encourage a pregnant woman to seek an abortion. Whether it be a situation of age, lack of consent, or financial status, the choice should be in the hands of the mother. It is frustrating for me to see men in a position of power be in charge of this decision. They have never experienced anything similar to pregnancy but get to dictate how it impacts the lives of women everywhere. I think another important point to consider here is that providing people with safe and easy access to abortions is a better option than removing it entirely. If those in need of an abortion do not have that opportunity, they may seek other methods that put themselves in harm’s way. According to the National Library of Medicine, 42 million women annually choose abortion and 20 million of those are unsafe, which could lead to further complications down the line. 

I want to preface this by saying I understand the arguments coming from the anti-abortion side of the abortion debate. Being anti-abortion for religious reasons is a defendable argument since it goes against God’s definition of murder in the 10 Commandments. However, being pro-choice does not mean one has to have an abortion themselves. It simply means providing everyone with that option. Therefore, your religious beliefs should not impact the lives of all American females. Getting an abortion is a personal choice and one should only consider their beliefs when it comes to their own body.

Whenever I think back to how I felt on June 24th, I feel uneasy. It still baffles me how a middle aged, majority male group is in charge of what I do with my body, no matter the circumstance. Thankfully, I come from a state that defends my reproductive rights and has no intention of removing them. I do worry about others who are not as lucky as me and may have to travel far for this kind of healthcare or may even have to resort to unsafe methods. It makes me wonder what will come next, with plenty of conflict involving birth control medication or other contraceptives already existent. The overturn of Roe v. Wade has left me speechless and uncertain about the future. One thing I do know though is that a woman’s decision to have children should be her choice and her choice only. A man should not have control over a woman’s body.

To support those who cannot get the proper resources or birth control, check out Planned Parenthood to see how you can help.

Featured image courtesy of Unsplash.