Seniors think about post-graduate opportunities  

Some seniors have opted to not enter the traditional work field, instead pursuing their passion in life through post-graduate service. Post-graduate service opportunities are a way to explore an interest, pursue a passion, and develop skills and knowledge while making a difference in the world. It helps young adults to grow professionally, personally, and sometimes spiritually. 

Cassie Riordan ‘22, who majored in marketing with a minor in studio art, from Long Island, New York says, I am feeling anxious, excited, scared, nervous, happy, bittersweet.” 

Transitioning out of college to the real world can be frightening, as there is so much to explore within oneself. Post-graduate service can be an opportunity to re-evaluate desires and find a new perspective in life.  

Pat Cassidy, the associate director of the Center for Community, Service, and Justice (CCSJ) at Loyola University Maryland stated, “I was placed in Punta Gorda, Belize, for two years after college. It was an opportunity to explore a lot of identities and understanding of God in justice.” 

Loyola University Maryland has a long history of service. In 2020, the university was named a Top School for Service, making Loyola one of only seven universities in the Mid-Atlantic to achieve this. CCSJ, the Career Center and Campus Ministry provide service-learning opportunities to support young adults to refine vocational discernment.  

“Through this program, it is a unique experience for young adults to have the opportunity to explore locations, domestically and internationally,” said Cassidy.  

Riordan says, “Next fall I will be pursuing the North American Language and Culture Assistants Program (NALCAP), a Spanish government education program that sends native English speakers to Spain to teach English and be an English teaching assistant.” 

By experiencing post-graduate service, young adults can embrace the opportunity to challenge, deepen awareness, build relationships, and witness and engage in issues of injustice.  

Erin Lynch, a senior majoring in biochemistry with a minor in Spanish, from Germantown, Maryland, states, “I am really excited for a year of service and applying to medical school.”  

Lynch has volunteered at Back on My Feet, a nonprofit organization based in Baltimore, Maryland, for the past four years. She has built relationships and become an advocate for justice.  

“I am doing the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, where I will be in San Francisco at an addiction recovery center as an intake counselor,” Lynch said. She is looking forward to continuing to learn about people, building relationships, and advocating for change. 

If interested in post-graduate service, see the many opportunities offered at Loyola University Maryland. To learn more contact Pat Cassidy in the CCSJ Office to help navigate what is the best fit for your needs.  

Featured Image courtesy of Brett Jordan via Unsplash