Ravens come back from down 19 in a stunning overtime win

Week five’s Monday night game proved to be a thriller in what looked like a blowout at first, but later turned into a game that Ravens fans won’t forget. The Baltimore Ravens faced off against the Indianapolis Colts, a scrappy 1-3 team looking for some momentum going into week six. The Colts’ first drive of the game wasn’t looking the best until their new quarterback, Carson Wentz, connected with running back Jonathan Taylor for a gut-wrenching 76-yard touchdown.

The Ravens looked to match the Colts, but they were unsuccessful and punted the ball back to the other team. This led to Carson Wentz completing several key throws to get them to the Ravens 20-yard line. It was here that Jayson Oweh, the Ravens linebacker, forced a fumble on Wentz, preventing a touchdown or field goal. With momentum on their side, the Ravens drove down the field but got stopped and forced to punt again.

After two more unsuccessful drives for each team, Baltimore finally got on the board and kicked a field goal late in the second quarter. With some time left on the clock, the Colts came back down the field and did the same thing, leading 10-3 at halftime.

Wentz came out with great throws in the third quarter, one to Zach Pascal for a big gain, and the next to Michael Pittman who “mossed” the defender to make a specular grab for a 42-yard touchdown. The Colts went on to miss the extra point, and the Ravens’ next drive led them all the way down to the goal line with one yard to go. Lamar Jackson rushed towards the end zone but was dragged down and dropped the ball, which led to a Colts player running it down the field for a touchdown. That score was later waved off but Jonathan Taylor ran in for six points anyway later that drive.

Indianapolis went for two after the score but threw an interception to Chuck Clark. This interception sparked a run by Lamar Jackson and the Ravens, first finding Mark Andrews for a good chunk of yards and then Marquise Brown for a 43-yard touchdown. Jackson was unsuccessful with the two-point conversion. 

During the very next possession, the Colts drove down the field but settled for a field goal leading 25-9 with 12 minutes left in the game. Mark Andrews was not going down without a fight, though, grabbing multiple one-handed catches including a touchdown catch from 5 yards. The Ravens went for two and again Jackson found Andrews wide open to convert it.

Needing a stop, the Ravens defense held its own and forced the Colts to kick a field goal, but the six-foot eight defensive end, Calais Campbell, blocked the attempt! Determined to win, Lamar Jackson found multiple receivers downfield and got to the goal line where he threw another touchdown pass to Mark Andrews. With 30 seconds left and down two, Lamar flipped the ball to his most consistent receiver, Andrews, who caught the ball to tie the game. There was enough time left for the Colts to get down field and attempt a 47-yard field goal, but they missed with time expiring.

Baltimore won the coin toss and possessed the ball first in overtime. No one could stop Jackson as he kept finding receivers open and plenty of room to run. Finally, he connected with Marquis Brown for five yards in the endzone, winning the game. It is key to note that Lamar had a career-high 442 passing yards with four touchdowns, while Andrews also had a career night with 147 yards and two touchdowns. As for Brown, he chipped in 125 yards and two touchdowns, as well as the game winner in one of the NFL’s most exciting games this season.

Featured Image courtesy of Wallpaper-Mania