Saramago’s Hat Trick leads Men’s Soccer past Army

The men’s soccer team soundly defeated Army 4-0 on Saturday in their first Patriot League contest this season, led by a three-goal effort from Brian Saramago ’20. The Hounds are now 2-0 at Ridley Athletic Complex and 2-4 overall.

In addition to Saramago’s standout performance, goalie Chase Vosvick ’21 continued his production with five saves and the 16th shutout of his collegiate career. Justin Ingram ‘21 scored the first goal of his Loyola career along with an assist. Jacob Denison ’21, Davey Mason ’21 and Jonathan Sousa ’20 all contributed assists.

The scoring began early in the contest. Barry Sharifi ’20 drew a foul in the box in the sixth minute, and Ingram buried the penalty kick at 7:10 for his first goal in green and grey. 

Moments later, Sharifi found Saramago hovering alone outside the box. Saramago then beat goalie Justin Stoll to the spot, doubling the lead and giving Loyola an early cushion. 

The rest of the first half belonged to the Loyola backline, as they limited Army to just one shot on goal in the first 45 minutes. The Greyhounds’ defensive dominance continued in the second half, giving up only four more shots on goal. Vosvick stopped them all. 

Saramago’s final two goals came late in the contest, separated by just 1:12. In the 80th minute, Denison regained possession for Loyola and quickly advanced the ball to Mason near the midfield line. Mason then sent a long-distance pass to Saramago, who beat Stoll in a one-on-one situation to make the score 3-0. 

On the next Loyola possession, Sousa sent a long ball down the right side of the field to Saramago, who headed it past the opposition to complete the hat trick. A failed Army penalty kick in the closing minutes solidified the final score of 4-0.

The Hounds’ win against the Black Knights (2-2-1) avenges last year’s season-ending loss in the conference semifinals. They are back on the road on Tuesday, as they take on William and Mary at 7 p.m.

Image Courtesy of Loyola Athletics.