What You Missed this Summer: Greyhound Sports in Review

Ridley Athletic Complex recently debuted its brand-new, state of the art Daktronics scoreboard. The new addition, which features 12 more horizontal feet than the last fixture and a 130 percent increase in image resolution, makes for a much-improved viewing experience. The scoreboard was introduced during a women’s soccer match against St. Francis, but the game was cut short due to lightning.

Loyola also introduced its first-ever branded charter bus on Aug. 14: a 56-passenger Van Hool featuring the popular slogan “Unleash the Hounds” in bold grey lettering on the side. The bus also includes the school’s motto, “Strong Truth’s Well Lived.”

Additionally, the men’s soccer team received votes in the United Soccer Coaches Division I preseason poll, ranking as high as 23rd in the country.

The women’s soccer team also welcomes back Joe Mallia to the head coaching position. Mallia led the team to great success from 1998-2004, going 87-45-8 (54-4-5 MAAC) and collecting five conference championships.

The men’s lacrosse team fell to Penn State in the national quarterfinal round on May 19, but several players received All-American honors after season’s end. Pat Spencer ’19 won USILA Player of the Year and the Tewaaraton Award, lacrosse’s equivalent of the Heisman trophy. Spencer is the first Greyhound to win this award. His career in college athletics isn’t over however, as he intends to use his final year of eligibility to play for the Northwestern University men’s basketball team this winter.

Goalie Jacob Stover ’19 joined Spencer on the All-America first team, while Chase Scanlan ’22 earned second team honors. Kevin Lindley ’21 and Ryan McNulty ’20 were honorable mentions. Scanlan has since transferred from Loyola, choosing to take his talents to Virginia. The men’s team also enjoyed a trip to Portugal this summer, where they held lacrosse clinics for local kids, took surfing lessons, and played two exhibition games against the English Premiere Select Team.

The women’s lacrosse team fell to Princeton in the second round of the NCAA tournament last May, but not before Hannah Powers ’19 broke the program’s record for points with 317 over her four-year career.

Kristen Yanchoris ‘19 also earned an outstanding achievement, as she was named the Patriot League Female Scholar-Athlete of the year. Yanchoris was then chosen to represent the Patriot League as the nominee for NCAA Woman of the Year.

Two members of the women’s lacrosse coaching staff kept busy this summer, as head coach Jen Adams and assistant Stacey Morlang Sullivan led the Australia U19 team in the U19 World Championships from Aug 1-10 in Ontario, Canada. Adams and Morlang Sullivan have shared head coaching duties for two years now.

Women’s tennis’ Kateri Martin ’21 earned Patriot League First Team honors for the second year in a row. Martin is the only Greyhound tennis player to have earned the honor.

The women’s volleyball team received the Team Academic Award from the American Volleyball Coaches Association this July, as they maintained a 3.718 cumulative GPA in the 2018-29 academic year. The required cumulative GPA to qualify for the award is 3.30.

On the track, Heather Merrifield ’21 became the first Greyhound to win an ECAC Outdoor Track Championship on May 12, winning the 400-meter hurdles. Senna Ohlsson ’21 was the first Greyhound student-athlete to participate in the USA Track and Field U20 championships on June 22, finishing 10th in the 800m event. The women’s track and field team was also included in the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association All-Academic Team, the eighth year in a row they have received that honor.

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both ranked top-30 nationally in the CSCAA Academic Polls released this summer. The women had a 3.61 cumulative GPA, while the men averaged 3.42.

Two members of the men’s basketball team played in the FIFA U19 Euroleague Championships this summer. Incoming freshmen Santi Aldama and Golden Dike both represented Spain’s team as they won the tournament over Turkey on Aug. 4. Aldama was named MVP of the tournament, averaging 18 points and 7.6 rebounds per game.

The women’s basketball team once again found themselves on the WBCA Academic Top-25 list, making it four consecutive years. Loyola ranked 13th in the country with a 3.608 cumulative GPA.

The women’s rowing team finished ninth at the Patriot League Championships on May 17, their best finish at the event yet.

Men’s golf’s Evan Brown ’21 earned Patriot League First Team honors, and was also named to the PING All-Northeast Region team on May 28.

A number of teams led the Patriot League in Academic Honor Roll members for the 2018-19 academic year. To earn this achievement, student athletes must maintain a 3.2 GPA in the spring semester, and participate in a winter or spring sport.

Women’s Swimming and Diving – 34 honorees

Men’s Swimming and Diving – 25 honorees

Women’s Rowing – 15 honorees

Men’s Tennis – 13 honorees

Women’s Tennis – 10 honorees

Men’s Golf – 8 honorees

To view a full list of each team’s honorees, visit Loyola’s main athletics web page, loyolagreyhounds.com.

Featured Image Courtesy of Larry French