Rising sophomores remember and celebrate the life of Caitlin McDonald, ’22

Rising sophomores remember and celebrate the life of Caitlin McDonald, 22

On July 14, Caitlin McDonald ‘22 tragically lost her life in a jet ski accident on Long Island. 

A native to Rockville Centre, N.Y., McDonald was a high-achieving student and active member of South Side High School’s music department. According to a campus-wide email sent from President Brian F. Linnane, S.J., McDonald was a trumpet player in her school’s band and orchestra, in addition to being the founder of “Little Maestros,” a local initiative to get young children and their families involved in music. 

Aside from her academic and musical accolades, McDonald was also an incredible friend. Nicole Talkin ‘22 graduated high school with McDonald before the two began their journey at Loyola, traveling from Long Island to Baltimore to embark on their freshman year. 

“I knew Caitlin for a long time and she’s one of the sweetest girls I’ve ever met. We would travel home together from school sometimes and would talk about everything happening in our lives and what the future would be like,” said Talkin. “She was loved by so many people and will be dearly missed.”

McDonald carried her passions and friendly nature into her first year at Loyola, as well. Close friend Caitlyn Bilz ‘22 recalls McDonald’s interests in music and her participation in Loyola’s Jazz Ensemble. She often talked to her friends about her plans to study music education. Not only did she love to participate in music herself, but she was also looking forward to making a career out of guiding those with the same passions. As their first year at Loyola unraveled and their relationship grew stronger, Bilz remembers McDonald as a beacon of light, even in the face of difficulty. 

“She accepted me for who I am, and always put a smile on my face even during the hardest times,” said Bilz.  

Roommate and friend Lauren Ahearn ‘22 recalls McDonald’s constant positivity, selflessness, and caring nature. 

“She was one of the sweetest people on campus. Even after a long day at school, it was always refreshing coming back to our room and seeing her there. She was always there for all of her friends and would open the door to anyone if they needed it regardless of the time,” said Ahearn. 

McDonald’s family is asking for donations going toward the establishment of a scholarship fund in her name. According to McDonald’s service information site, “Scholarships would be made to South Side High School students who share Caitlin’s love of music and her commitment to community service, and who embody her exceptional character.” Donations toward McDonald’s fund can be made here

Additionally, Loyola will be arranging a Mass in McDonald’s honor on campus in the fall. 

Please keep those who had the pleasure of knowing McDonald in your prayers during this time. Additionally, the Counseling Center, as well as other campus resources such as Campus Ministry and the Student Life Office are available to those who need their assistance.

Featured Image: Courtesy of The Rockville Centre Patch