Charli XCX Brings the Party Live at Power Plant

Charli XCX’s performance hosted by Rams Head Live  was an exhibition of a young artist who enjoys one of the simple pleasures in life: partying. Through her synth pop style of music, she was able to connect with the audience, whose singing and rhythmic jumping mimicked her party energy.

The concert was held in honor—or rather in spite of—Valentine’s Day. On Feb. 16, local pop radio station Z104.3 hosted its first annual “Bitter Ball” as an anti-Valentine’s Day party for bitter singles or really anyone who was willing to pay for a ticket.

As concert-goers walked into the venue, they were greeted with a DJ blasting pop music. The large room was filled with energetic young people singing, dancing, or just trying their best to talk over the music. Since the show was open to all ages, many of the attendees sported black X’s on each hand to remind every bartender they were under 21.

The show opened with Logan Henderson, a basic male pop star with a very familiar look. Henderson sported a bright orange shirt and danced around the stage like he was part of a boy band but was missing the rest of his crew. As his set continued, the audience slowly realized that Henderson was one of the former members of the popular band Big Time Rush made famous by the Nickelodeon show of the same title. Soon, some audience members were screaming lyrics to old songs by the band that might have mildly interfered with the performer trying to break away into a solo career.

After Henderson,Z104.3 presenters came to announce the next performers: A1 Chops, a Baltimore-native drumming duo who added style to their snares. With pop music playing in the background, they drummed along with fast, rhythmic beats on single snare drums. They flipped their drumsticks and danced around. It was pretty impressive, though the repetitiveness veered on annoying.

After yet another round of DJ pop music, Charli XCX finally graced the stage wearing a full-body pink outfit that didn’t match the anti-Valentine’s day vibe. Every audience member should have been able to walk out of that venue with at least one message: Charli XCX came to party and she wanted her audience to do the same.

Her high energy performance was matched with jumping and encouragement for everyone to join her, plus impeccable choreography with the mic stand. Her energy and noise levels peaked during her hit song with Icona Pop “I Love It,” which was only the second song of the set but boasted the highest levels of lights, screaming, bass, and jumping. Other high energy songs included her opener (“Boom Clap”) and her closer (“Fancy”) to which she sang the chorus at least three extra times to give the crowd what they wanted.

Still, after high energy performances of fun upbeat hits, the crowd was left wanting more. XCX’s set was only half an hour long, which passes by quite quickly in concert. She had the same amount of time as her previous acts. No offense to Logan Henderson or A1 Chops, but Charli XCX’s headlining act deserved a bigger time slot. She may not have too many well-known hits, but the energetic rush in songs like “1999,” “Boys,” and “Break the Rules,” demanded a longer show.

Overall, XCX was enthusiastic and knew how to work the crowd. She wanted to party with everyone –and the feeling was mutual. Even if that party could not last forever, the crowd was pleased to celebrate their loneliness at the Bitter Ball together.

Feature Image: Courtesy of Marley Scheld and Rams Head Live.