Thumbs Up Thumbs Down: Long Time No See

Hey, Hounds! It’s been a minute since the last Thumbs post, but we are back and better than ever! We are one week into the semester, and I hope everyone is settled in. I, Emma Hagedoorn, am the new EiC and just came back from abroad, so getting used to being back in the USA and at Loyola has been a challenge. However, think positive! Here are the Greyhound staff’s ups and downs for the past two weeks since I was slacking a bit:

Thumbs Up: Seeing friends back from abroad. While some may be upset about being back at Loyola and not in a beautiful country of their choice, it sure is great seeing friends whom you haven’t seen since May. Hearing stories of their past semester and catching up on what was missed made the first week back a little more bearable.

Thumbs Down: No buffer day. It seemed like we started classes a little early this year as there was no buffer day before classes. Normally, we come back on Sunday, have Monday off to get situated, and then start Tuesday. Well, I guess Loyola couldn’t hold off for one week as we started right off the bat. Having MLK Day off one week later was great, but that one buffer day before classes begin for semester two has been a great love of mine.

Thumbs Up: Bull and Oyster. The fun senior and alumni event took place this past weekend, and according to the seniors, it was a great success. Those who graduated last year or years before came back to party it up with old friends they left behind. Man, I can’t wait until next year.

Thumbs Down: COLD. Holy moly it is FREEZING. The wind the other day was out of control. The temperature barely making it out of the teens was a major disappointment. I don’t think I remember what it is like to be warm. Bundle up guys, especially when crossing that bridge.

Thumbs Up: Greyhound Retreat. The Greyhound staff had a nice little retreat to the Greyhound office this weekend where we went through goals for the semester, how to properly conduct an interview, team building, and more, all over some great pizza from Toss. It looks like it will be a great semester, and if you are interested in joining our awesome team, send us an email!

Thumbs Down: LoPo no longer providing transportation to the Social (the Guilford). Loyola offers off-campus housing at the Social, previously known as the Guilford. While it is about a 15-minute walk to campus, sometimes you want a lift to your room or back to campus, especially if it is later at night. There has been some talk about Loyola Police no longer providing transportation to and from the Social, forcing students to walk alone late at night or pay for an Uber just to get back to campus. Keep an eye out as there will be a news article with more details on this coming soon!

Well, that’s a wrap, folks! I am thankful to be back at Loyola with all of you beautiful people and glad to be the EiC of this publication. I hope everyone has a good second week and that our three-day weekend helped out a bit. See you next week!