Men’s soccer triumphs in regular season finale

The men’s soccer team defeated Lafayette 1-0 on November 3, officially clinching their top spot in the Patriot League with a 7-1-1 conference record (12-3-1 overall). Stephen Nichols ’22, scored the lone goal just seconds into the match, with Barry Sharifi ’20, and Gabriel Carlsson ’19, assisting. The Greyhounds defense put up a wall, allowing just four shots total on the afternoon.

Loyola began the match with possession and made it count. Carlsson sent the ball to Sharifi near the left side of the box. Sharifi wasted no time and crossed it to Nichols dashing towards the cage. Nichols one-timed the ball past keeper Alex Sutton at 35 seconds for his first collegiate goal, giving the Hounds the early advantage.

The Hounds didn’t let up their attack as they created nine more shots to Lafayette’s four. The Leopards withstood some quality Loyola scoring attempts, including a free kick by Sharifi in the 14th minute that Sutton was barely able to reach. Sutton did all he could to keep the deficit at one, recording six saves on the day.

Loyola goalie Chase Vosvick ’21, had a productive day of his own as he logged four saves on his way to his seventh shutout of the season. His most important save came in the 31st minute when he came out of position to the top of the box to stymie a Leopards’ breakaway.

After 89 minutes of scoreless action, Nichols’ early goal proved to be the difference as the Hounds ended the regular season with a conference win.

After this weekend, the Patriot League championship field has been set. Below is the full slate of this week’s matchups. Loyola begins their postseason campaign next Friday, as they could face Army, American or Boston University, depending on the quarterfinal outcomes. Kickoff is at 4 p.m.

Quarterfinals – Tuesday, Nov. 6 (Hosted by Higher Seed)
No. 5 Army West Point @ No. 4 Boston University, 7 p.m.
No. 6 American @ No. 3 Colgate, 7 p.m.       No. 1 Loyola Maryland and No. 2 Lehigh, First Round Bye

Semifinals – Friday, Nov. 9 (Hosted by Loyola)
Lower-seeded quarterfinal winner @ No. 1 Loyola Maryland, 4 p.m.
Higher-seeded quarterfinal winner vs. No. 2 Lehigh, 7 p.m.

Championship Game – Sunday, Nov. 11 (Hosted by Loyola) 
Lower-seeded semifinal winner vs. Higher-seeded semifinal winner, 2 p.m.

Feature image courtesy of Craig Chase