The Greyhound honors the life of former Copy Chief Angela DeCarlo ’19

On Nov. 4, Angela DeCarlo ’19 passed away after a two-year battle with cancer. DeCarlo was a global studies major, and she pursued a journalism minor. She served as The Greyhound’s copy chief from the fall of 2016 to the spring of 2018.

Prior to her college career, DeCarlo was the stories chief of John Carroll High School’s award-winning newspaper, The Patriot, in Bel Air, Md. During her time on the staff, the publication received numerous awards ranging from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s Hybrid Publication Silver Crown award to an All-American rating from the National Scholastic Press Association.

Her former English and journalism teachers Mr. Nicholas Attanasio and Mr. Mark Ionescu remember her as an outstanding student and a meticulous editor with an incredible eye for detail and a thorough knowledge of language.

“Angela was always best at making things better. As a copy editor on our high school newspaper, the importance of her job was often underestimated or even ignored, but in truth her calling was both challenging and immensely important,” Ionescu said. “She had to make the paper, and the people on it, the best possible versions of themselves.”

But of course, DeCarlo’s ability to inspire people to see their own potential went far beyond the newsroom at John Carroll.

“In her three years as my student, I never saw her be anything other than unfailingly positive and kind to those around her. No one ever left a conversation with Angela without feeling a little better about themselves,” Attanasio said.

DeCarlo’s love for journalism was unmatched, as seen through her commitment to the role of The Greyhound’s copy chief. In addition to attending classes while undergoing treatment, DeCarlo refused to let her involvement in extracurriculars falter.

“Ang was so dedicated and worked as copy chief for as long as she possibly could,” 2016-2017 Editor-in-Chief Meghan Nichols ’19 said. “The Greyhound and all those who were lucky enough to be on staff with her are better for having known and worked with her.”

DeCarlo honed her copy editing skills both inside and outside of the classroom—a testament to her desire to be the best in anything and everything she put her mind to. At Loyola, she studied under journalist and copy editor John McIntyre, who is a charter member and two-term president of the American Copy Editors Society.

“She was sharp and quick to learn. She had all the makings of a fine editor, and we have suffered a great loss,” McIntyre said.

DeCarlo was a huge asset to The Greyhound editorial board and our success was a top priority for her. She held both herself and the publication to high standards, consistently raising the bar for student leaders on campus.

“She was the best copy editor I’ve ever seen. Articles always came back from her completely spotless, and she always had good feedback for our writers,” Nichols said.

DeCarlo’s passion and expertise were instrumental to the publication’s ability to thrive amidst leadership and print-to-online transitions.

She was a total tour de force at The Greyhound. Without Ang by my side every step of the way during my time as chief, I don’t think anything would’ve gotten done,” 2017-2018 Editor-in-Chief Nicholas Cirone 18 said. “No one’s advice, guidance, and input was more valuable than Ang’s, but it was her spirit and positivity through both thick and thin that always did and always will leave me in awe.”

DeCarlo will be remembered by our team for her expert AP style skills, innovative ideas, and of course, the sunshine and humor she brought to our Sunday afternoon staff meetings. She has not only taught us the importance of accuracy and consistency, but just how far sheer will and courage can go.

Being our copy chief is only one of many of DeCarlo’s accomplishments during her 21 years of life, but it has made a huge impact on the Loyola community that will live on forever.

Rest in peace, Ang. Keep a look out for any misplaced commas.

Feature Image: Courtesy of Angela DeCarlo