The Student News Site of Loyola University Maryland

The Greyhound

The Greyhound

The Student News Site of Loyola University Maryland

The Greyhound

Men’s soccer goes undefeated in matchups


The men’s soccer team started their week with a dominant 4-0 home win over visiting Cleveland State on Tuesday. Loyola never allowed the Vikings to settle into the game, applying constant offensive pressure with 18 shots on the night.

Matt Dabrowski ’20 got his first start of the year in goal and recorded a shutout, while Brian Saramago, ’20, led the offense with two goals. Gabriel Carlsson, ‘19, scored off a corner, and Nico Brown, ’20, had his second goal in as many games. Barry Sharifi, ’20, and Stephen Nichols, ’22, each earned an assist.

A penalty kick in the 20th minute provided Loyola with an early scoring opportunity. Saramago nailed the kick right down the middle to give the Hounds an early lead. They extended their lead in the final minutes of the half when a long ball from Sharifi found a cutting Brown, who sent a laser past helpless goalkeeper Skylar Jeppesen.

Holding a comfortable 2-0 lead, Loyola took their foot off the pedal early in the second half. On their eighth and final corner kick in the 78th minute, Nichols fired the ball into the box. Carlsson was able to get enough of it, and the ball slipped past the goalie’s fingers into the netting.

In an appropriate end to a blowout win, a cross from Saramago ricocheted off a defender and found the net in the 85th minute to make the score 4-0.

The men went into fall break on a high note with a monumental 3-2 double overtime win against Holy Cross. The win brings Loyola to 4-1-1 in the Patriot League and 8-3-1 overall, which keeps the Hounds in contention to host the Patriot League championship.

The Greyhounds showed great character in fighting back from an early 2-0 deficit. Josh Fawole, ’20, played hero, scoring twice for Loyola, including the game winner. Sharifi contributed with a goal of his own, while Chase Vosvick, ’21, made some key stops on his way to five saves, keeping the Hounds in the game after falling behind early.

Holy Cross capitalized on some quality scoring opportunities in the first half. Simon Becher broke away on a counter attack and opened the scoring in the 26th minute. In the 28th minute, Edi Mujan headed in a corner kick from Max Krause to extend the lead to 2-0.

The Hounds fought right back and earned a penalty kick, which Fawole took in the 39th minute. Although they still trailed 2-1, Loyola went into the locker room with the momentum.

Holy Cross looked to extend its lead again with a penalty kick of their own in the 67th minute, but Vosvick wasn’t having it. He made his third penalty kick save of the season to keep the game within reach.

After a series of failed attacks Sharifi decided to create an opportunity for himself at the top of the box, he found some space in the 81st minute and sent a screamer right below the crossbar, knotting the game up at 2-2.

The match found its way into the first overtime period and then another as the teams traded blows. Loyola finally broke through in the 107th minute when Fawole buried a cross from Saramago, making their eight-hour bus ride back to Baltimore much easier.

The men continue their final slate of regular season games against conference competition. They host the Lehigh Mountain Hawks on Saturday, Oct. 27 at 3 p.m. for Senior Day.

Feature Image: Courtesy of Craig Chase

View Comments (1)
More to Discover

Comments (1)

All The Greyhound Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • AnonymousOct 26, 2018 at 7:07 am


Activate Search
Men’s soccer goes undefeated in matchups