Ballroom is Back: The Dancing With the Stars Fall Premiere

Teresa Alexander-Arab Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Back for its 23rd season, “Dancing with the Stars” returned to prime-time TV with hosts Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews on Monday, Sept. 12. . Judges Bruno Tonioli, Len Goodman, Carrie Ann Inaba, and Julianne Hough are all back this season to offer critiques to the dancing contestants. Fan-favorite ballroom professionals Derek Hough, Maks Chmerkovskiy, and Cheryl Burke are also returning to the series along with the other dancing pros who will be partnered with a group of talented celebrities.

Agência Brasil Fotografias Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Olympian gymnast Laurie Hernandez and swimmer Ryan Lochte both join the roster straight from Rio. And for Lochte, the drama and controversy seemed to follow. After completing his number with Cheryl and receiving feedback from the judges, protestors ran onto the stage and tried to attack the star. Security guards and cast members alike helped to make the scene less dramatic for viewers, but those present admitted to being a little shaken up after the event.

As for other athletes, the show includes former Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson Jr., and successful IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe. Both have seen success in their respective sports, giving them a potential advantage in the competition as they transfer their athleticism to the ballroom.

Kirk Stauffer Photo, Courtesy of Flickr
Kirk Stauffer Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

There are a handful of entertainers on the cast as well who will be challenged to put on a great show every week. Country star Jana Kramer, 11-time Grammy winner Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds, and rapper Vanilla Ice all try their hands at ballroom dancing as well. Actresses Maureen McCormick (“The Brady Bunch”) and Marilu Henner (“Taxi”) will also take to the stage.

To keep viewers on their toes, there are a few other celebrities from all different walks of stardom. Whiz Khalifa’s ex wife Amber Rose is working to make a name for herself in the dancing world. Reality star Terra Jolé and child star Jake T. Austin will also take on ballroom dances. As far as politicians go, Texas governor Rick Perry closes out the group to add even more spice to an already eclectic group.

The scores the first week were lower than normal, as the celebrities were still getting used to the ballroom. Laurie and James were able to take home the high score of 31 placing themselves at the top of the leaderboard. To see who is able to lead the pack and who gets voted off each week, tune into ABC every Monday and Tuesday at 8pm!