Hounds Madness Gets Loyola Community Ready for the Basketball Season

The Loyola community gathered in Reitz Arena and brought unprecedented energy to the Hound Madness event for basketball on Friday, Oct. 28. Loyola decided to bring the Hound Madness tradition back after eight years, as the last one was held in Reitz Arena in 2014. The event brings awareness and gets fans excited for the upcoming basketball season. 

The night consisted of several activities for fans to interact with players from both the men’s and women’s teams. The hype was heightened by performers from the Loyola dance team and the cheer squad. The energy hit its peak when men’s coach Tavaras Hardy hit the “dancefloor” to perform a dance to the song “Narcos.”

Freshman guard Garrett Brennan says his coach did a great job of engaging the fans and getting them involved in the fun. 

“Coach Hardy brought a ton of energy to the event and got the crowd on their feet. His dances were funny and he did a good job at having us prepared for our own dances.”

Coach Hardy invited everyone to join him on the floor. A dance circle broke out and people began showing off their best moves while a crowd clapped in a circle around them. At one point, junior guard Caramina Tañedo had her grandmother dancing in the center of the dance circle. 

Both the men’s and women’s basketball teams had dances prepared to perform at the end of the night. 

The men’s team chose to put on a “Living Through the Ages” performance which showcased different versions of the song “Staying Alive.” They had three different performances for the three different versions of the song, showcasing different outfits from each era. 

The women’s team went the country route and performed the “Cotton Eye Joe” as well as the “Hoedown Throwdown” by Miley Cyrus. 

Brennan thought the event was a success and is excited to keep the tradition going in the upcoming years. 

“The energy in the gym was good,” Brennan said. “I thought the participants of each team were engaged throughout the event as well as the crowd that was there. Overall, it was a fun and exciting environment to be a part of.”

Members of both teams as well as a few coaches participated in a contest that included making a three-point shot, a layup, and a jump shot. Men’s Assistant Coach Corin “Tiny” Adams, sophomore forward Alexa Therien, and freshman point guard Deion Perry came away with first place in the event. 

Coach Adams says that given the number of individuals there, they produced more energy than expected.

“The crowd was into it, it sounded like we had 500 people in here despite it being a lot less than that. It was a great time, the fans had great energy and I definitely enjoyed it.”

The event gave a good introduction to what fans can expect for the upcoming season. Coach Adams believes that the night was a way to get more fans in the gym for games this season.

“The fans were able to get a glimpse of the teams and how much we enjoy one another,” Adams said. “Hopefully, they enjoyed it enough to come back, and they will bring more people with them.”

The women’s basketball team started its season at home on Monday, Nov. 7 with a 64-55 loss against non-conference opponent Niagara. The Hounds also play at home on Sunday, Nov. 13 at 12 p.m. against UMBC, while the men’s team will play right after against Brown at 5 p.m.

For both home openers, Loyola Athletics encourages all fans to wear white and there will be a free white t-shirt giveaway for all fans!

Featured Image Courtesy of Bri Rozzi.