Bull and Oyster: Was it a Hit with the Seniors?

The following represents the opinion of the student reporter and does not represent the views of Loyola University Maryland, the Greyhound, or Loyola University’s Department of Communication.

As a senior, I am excited to experience one last year at Loyola. As a result of the pandemic and studying abroad, this year is my first full year on campus. With that being said, I was extremely excited to hear about the Bull and Oyster Roast; an event planned to celebrate seniors on Sept. 10. 

The event is a mid-Atlantic tradition that Loyola seniors and alumni have celebrated for over 70 years. Bull and Oyster is hosted in McGuire Hall and Reitz Arena. At the event, there is an open bar, beef carving station, oysters, and live music. A portion of ticket proceeds went to the Evergreen Annual Fund, which funds academic scholarships and need-based grants.

I was stunned at the turnout for Bull and Oyster. The line to get in went along the length of Boulder. I was surprised about how many faces I did not recognize. Alumni of all ages were also gathered, catching up with classmates and other students. Seniors came to the event in beautiful dresses and suits. I loved the opportunity to dress up with my friends to celebrate the 250 days until graduation. 

When I first walked in, I was amazed at how McGuire and Reitz were transformed into an almost unrecognizable setting. Tables, two bars, and a stage were present. The buffet-style dinner allowed guests to choose from a variety of foods, such as mac and cheese, meat-carving stations, and more. I thought the food was better than I expected and liked how there were many options.

The stage was also a great addition to the night. Many students and alumni enjoyed the live music on the dance floor. I loved dancing with all my friends and the music the band played.

I thought Bull and Oyster was a great event. I loved the opportunity to celebrate with classmates. However, one aspect that could have been better was the open bar. Whenever I would get a drink, a mass of people surrounded the bars. There seemed to be no organization or line, which resulted in getting bumped into many times. 

I was interested to see what other seniors thought of the event.

April Hartman ‘23, SGA Director of Campus Outreach, showed her enthusiasm about Bull and Oyster. Hartman stated, “I thought B&O was a great event. The class of 2023 and everyone who worked on organizing the event did great, and I’m hoping in the coming years, it will be even better.” 

Nikki Sheehan ‘23 also highlighted her liking of the event, stating, “I had a very nice time! I liked how there were multiple stations for food so you were not waiting in line for very long. The live band was a nice addition and the song selection was very good!”

However, Sheehan also emphasized an aspect of Bull and Oyster that could be improved. Sheehan stated, “One thing I wasn’t the biggest fan of was the lack of bars. When I wanted a drink, I felt like I was waiting for a long time and there was no line or order to get a drink.”. 

Justin Shinn ‘23, a former member of SGA, stated, “All of SGA did a great job pulling the event off; it was a lot of fun. Trinity Riggle, senior class president, was very instrumental in the planning of it”.

Overall, I think Bull and Oyster was a great event and a hit for all who came.

Featured image courtesy of Hannah Mannering