Belles and Chimes are back in action

Belles and Chimes are back in action

As the lights began to dim over McManus Theatre for the first in-person spring Chordbusters since 2019, the audience gave roaring applause at the sight of hilarious introductions from both groups. With the Belles performing a skit making fun of group dynamics and the Chimes creating a spinoff of the Disney Channel’s “Phineas and Ferb,” the audience was left laughing in their seats. 

Chimes junior, Thomas Borner Du Cane, said of the skit, “I think it is so much fun. The skit was kind of cohesive, and everyone had their own little part to play. I think that’s what brought it all together and made it really fun to do.”  

While the stage turned to a red hue, sophomores Janna Garden and Sydney Eichel took the spotlight to set the tone for the evening with a powerful mashup of The Weather Girls’ “It’s Raining Men,” and Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive.” The Belles continued to make the audience cheer with show stopping numbers like Labrinth and Zendaya’s “All for Us,” and gripping ballads like “FourFiveSeconds,” which were performed with solos from each group member. 

The robust set was followed by the Loyola Chimes with a powerful opener. The lights turned a bright sky blue as senior and vice-president of the Chimes, Henry Ohlig, led the Chimes onstage to sing “Mr.Blue Sky” by Electric Light Orchestra. The Chimes continued their set with various songs featuring everything from rap to ballads. Soloists evoked laughter and cheers during Chance the Rapper’s “Cocoa Butter Kisses,” and Simon Gunther ‘23, moved the crowd to tears while singing Ben Platt’s “Grow As We Go.”  

With another year of powerful songs, Chimes performer and junior Michael Parlett said, “Just the energy in the room, the joy from every single member in the group and the response from the crowd, it was like nothing I’ve ever experienced from a Chordbusters.” 

Parlett was not alone in his thoughts, as Sydney Eichel ‘24 said, “A lot of people have been saying that it was the best Belles set ever. The audience interaction was incredible, and it was just a really awesome last performance of the year.” 

The support of the crowd means a lot to these performers. Sophomore Marlo Lacson, a Loyola Chime, believes that his connection with the Chordbusters audience is something unmatched by other art forms. “There is really just nothing like it. In theater, the audience isn’t necessarily falling in love with you; they are falling in love with the character, but at Chordbusters, it’s just you,” said Lacson. This connection motivates performers to keep pushing to bring bigger and better pieces to their audience each year. 

While this semester’s Chordbusters event has passed, be on the lookout for updates for the fall 2023 Chordbusters by following the Chimes and Belles on Instagram, @loyolabelles and @loyolachimes.