Belvedere Square welcomes The Confetti Cake Bar

Located at Belvedere Square, The Confetti Cake Bar stands out for its pink outdoor umbrellas and scalloped black awnings. Descending a brick staircase, customers enter the bakery and are greeted by a display case filled with colorful cupcakes. Flavors range from strawberry and vanilla confetti to lemon crunch and pineapple upside-down cake.

Owner Teresa Thomas was introduced to commercial baking at Edmonson High School. Through an internship with Donut Delight, she learned the business side of the industry and transitioned to decorating cakes at home. After 10 years, she took a break to enjoy time with her daughter. Being home during the pandemic helped reignite her passion for baking and cake artistry. Now, she realized her dream with the opening of The Confetti Cake Bar.

“It happened so fast. I set out to open a bakery and started looking for a place. Then Belvedere Square happened,” Thomas said.

The Confetti Cake Bar opened September 19th, 2021, during the pandemic. While COVID-19 limited many business opportunities, Thomas believes it provided her with an opportunity.

“For someone looking to open a business, there were a lot of pros. I feel like I’m in a prime location, which if the pandemic didn’t happen, maybe it wouldn’t have been available. We were able to negotiate rates because places have been vacant for so long. There were a lot of grants out for people trying to start new businesses.”

Before the grand opening, Thomas encountered difficulties related to supply chain and shipping.

“There were very limited supplies. The rate for shipping was extremely expensive. And the wait for bulk items like refrigeration, freezers, and display cases were months out. So, I ordered things in June and didn’t get them literally until the week before the grand opening. I had to change my grand opening like three times.”

The fridges now line the walls of the bakery, showcasing single tier and two-tier birthday cakes decorated with pink accent roses and gold flakes.

After being featured on CBS Channel 13’s Baltimore Buzz, The Confetti Cake Bar’s business grew exponentially.
“I didn’t even know we were on there and with that, I was receiving so many phone calls. I guess the anticipation was just building up, because there was a bakery coming to Belvedere Square.”

Thomas’ primary focus is to provide customers with the best possible experience and a quality assortment of cakes and cupcakes.

“I really pride myself on the quality of work that I put out and I try to make everyone feel welcome when they come in. When they come back, I try to remember faces and names and their orders. Every order I try to go over myself and make sure everything is okay. Make sure there’s no details left out.”

From the intricate cake designs to the inviting atmosphere, Thomas’ attention to detail and enthusiasm is reflected throughout the bakery. Amid the sprinkles and chocolate drizzles, quotes surround the seating nook exclaiming: “Let’s talk cake!” and “Where extraordinary is never extra!”

New baked goods are introduced weekly, so there is always something new to try. The Confetti Cake Bar is open Tuesday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Featured Image courtesy of Pexels