Unopposed candidates take the helm of SGA

The 2022-2023 Student Government Association (SGA) executive elections were underway last week, and the results are in. Ballots closed Friday, at 2:00 p.m. with the Big Three and class presidents’ positions all running unopposed.

Come fall, incumbent junior class co-presidents Claire Perkins and Jack McCormick, paired with SGA’s current Director of Academic Affairs, Braya Markley, will serve as the Big Three. Perkins, McCormick, and Markley will take office as the Student Body President, Vice President of Social Affairs, and Vice President of Policy and Advocacy, respectively.

All three candidates have worked alongside one another over the past three years on SGA, having served on class assemblies, class senate, and other executive board roles. With their combined knowledge of the organization, they “dare to reimagine” Loyola through an emphasis on community building, engagement inside and outside of SGA, and establishing meaningful campus traditions. Their main focus: reimagining SGA’s role and impact on the Loyola community.

“We are seeking to make SGA more approachable through increased collaboration with clubs and student-led initiatives,” said Perkins. She further explained, “We are mission-driven as a ticket and intend to focus on student-led initiatives. We also want to increase our accessibility by revamping the website and unifying the community by taking social programming like formals, Loyola Palooza, and the senior events to the next level.”

As the future Vice President for Policy and Advocacy, Markley explained her goals for the upcoming academic year.

“In my position as Vice President of Policy and Advocacy, I would love to enact better communication within the organization so we can bolster the initiatives of other groups [Transfer Student Organization, BSA, ALANA Services, Messina, Addressing the System, and CCSJ], and all work toward meaningful change together.”

With all three members of the Big Three having served on SGA previously, McCormick said he feels qualified for his future role as Vice President of Social Affairs.

“I have solid relationships within SGA, and with other student leaders across campus, and an excellent rapport with key administrators. Over these years, I have demonstrated my commitment to the needs and voice of the student body and have always sought to bring in outside perspectives and reinvent the wheel. We really are daring to reimagine!”

While Perkins and McCormick are currently studying abroad in Budapest and Amsterdam, Markley continues to serve as the Director of Academic Affairs.

As for class year presidents’, Trinity Riggle will serve as the senior class president, incumbent Lexi Faison will serve as junior class president, and incumbent Chris LoPresti will serve as sophomore class president.

Current sophomore class president Faison says she is excited to continue her role as president for the class of 2024.

“A few sneak peek ideas that I do currently have in mind surrounds a Class of 2024 mentorship program, creating a one-week social campaign with The Counseling Center with the intention of announcing an official implementation of mental health days by the end, and potentially another formal if our Spring Semi-Formal collaboration with the Class of 2025,” said Faison.

Class presidents and their assemblies are now actively planning events while SGA as a whole is gearing up for the return of Loyola’s annual springtime festival, Loyolapalooza, scheduled for May 1.