The Evil of the 60’s in “Last Night in Soho”

Edgar Wright’s “Last Night in Soho” is set, for the most part, in modern day London. Protagonist Eloise, or “Ellie” Turner, played by Thomasin McKenzie, is irresistible. Her naivety and innocence, as seen through her old-fashioned style and her relationship with her grandma, draws the audience in. Early on in the film, Ellie is also revealed to be able to see and communicate with ghosts. In some of her first scenes, we learn that her mother has died, but Ellie is able to see her mom standing behind her in every mirror she gazes into. Ellie’s complicated relationship with her family’s history of mental illness is one of the many themes of the film.  

Ellie begins school at the London College of Fashion. Her first couple days are not as perfect as she had hoped. Her roommate, Jacosta, and others continue to make fun of her. So, Ellie decides to live in an off-campus apartment in the house of an older lady who refuses to change the 60’s style decor.

And then her sixth sense kicks in, but not with images of her mother….

In her dreams, Ellie starts to see glimpses of the party life of an aspiring singer from London in the 60’s. She learns the 60’s girl is named Sandy, played by critically-acclaimed actress Anya Taylor-Joy. What started as a dream soon becomes a nightmare. Ghosts of the monstrous men that were preying on Sandy in the 60’s have come to haunt Ellie in present-day London. She hears them, sees them, and feels them everywhere she goes.

This leaves the audience, and even the protagonist, to wonder: is it just Ellie’s sixth sense, or is she somehow reliving Sandy’s suffering in the present day?

A movie full of twists and turns, “Last Night in Soho” is definitely one of the best psychological thrillers I have ever seen. With this film, everything you think you understand is suddenly turned on its head when Ellie’s dreams become reality. Edgar Wright truly played out the trope of “expect the unexpected” with “Last Night in Soho.” He also made sure to add in many parallels between Ellie and Sandy that make you want to know more.

Also to note, Anya Taylor-Joy actually sings one of the songs in the movie, a slowed-down version of “Downtown” by Petula Clark. Taylor-Joy’s voice is perfect. It fits right into character and is definitely a beautiful surprise to hear her real singing voice.

Make sure to catch it in theaters! You will be on the edge of your seat the whole time. Beware, because everything is not as it seems in Soho.

“Last Night in Soho” is showing now in theaters everywhere.

Featured Image via Wallpapersden