Board of Trustees announces search committee for next university president

On March 11, Loyola students received an email from James Forbes, ’80, chair of the board of trustees, and Gerry Holthaus, ‘71, trustee and chair of the presidential search committee, sharing an update on the process of electing a new president after President Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J., retires at the close of the 2021-22 academic year. The presidential search email stated:

“As we move forward with the search for the next president of Loyola University Maryland, we are pleased to announce the members of the search committee. These individuals were selected with an eye to the representation of our diverse community and with a commitment to equity and inclusion.”

The email listed the 12 people who make up the search committee. They are:

Gerry Holthaus, ’71, Trustee, Search Committee Chair
Kenneth Boehl, ’76, MBA ’81, Trustee
Rev. Timothy Brown, S.J., Associate Professor of Law and Social Responsibility and Assistant for Mission Integration
Elizabeth Dahl, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Chemistry
Sr. Mary M. Fanning, RSM, MBA ’79, Trustee
Rev. Kevin Gillespie, S.J., Trustee and former Loyola faculty member
Cheryl Moore-Thomas, Ph.D., ’86, M.Ed. ’89, Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer and Professor of Counselor Education
Jeffrey Nattans, ’89, Trustee and Loyola parent
Karen Paterakis Phillipou, ’90, Trustee
Stephon Smith, ’19, Trustee
Joseph Stewart-Sicking, Ed.D., Professor of Counseling
Arun Subhas, Trustee

At the end of the email, Forbes and Holthaus expressed gratitude to the committee members for agreeing to serve and offer their perspectives during this process. The concluding paragraph said:

“After we hire a search firm, we will invite alumni, faculty, staff, and current students to participate in listening sessions. In the meantime, you are welcome to share the criteria you are looking for in the next president of Loyola through the Presidential Search website.”

The Presidential Search website has pages dedicated to information about the search community, community input, communication archives, and points of contact. The message on the home page says:

“This website will provide continued updates throughout the search process, as well as information about opportunities for members of our Loyola community to give input into the process.” The search committee page includes an “About the Chair” portion and a list of the search committee members.

On the Community Input page, there is a form that allows members of the Loyola community to provide input on the presidential candidate criteria. The form includes the question, “What 3-5 characteristics would you like to see in the next president of Loyola?” The communication archive has links to all prior messages regarding the retirement of President Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J. and updates on the search for the next president. The Presidential Search website can be reached here.

Keep up-to-date with The Greyhound for information about the latest happenings at Loyola University Maryland.