Student body president resigns, SGA remains quiet: what we know so far

Student body president resigns, SGA remains quiet:  what we know so far

On Jan. 13, former Student Body President Nikki Wieman ‘21 resigned from her position. As of today, no public announcement has been made by the Student Government Association (SGA) about her resignation and subsequent shifts in power. 

Following tips from fellow Loyola students, The Greyhound reached out to SGA at [email protected], the SGA president’s address, and [email protected], the address provided as a point of contact on SGA’s official Instagram account, on Feb. 4. Neither representative commented. 

During a meeting with Wieman on Feb. 24, she confirmed the campus speculations as true. She also described her resignation as “pressured,” and when asked to elaborate, she said: 

“At this time, I cannot fully speak to that question, but I will say I do not feel like it was an autonomous decision and that it was influenced by people in positions higher than mine own.”

The former president also commented on her perceptions of Loyola’s culture, in addition to the ways she views SGA as an extension of campus norms. On the University’s environment, which Wieman articulated as being composed of “shallow bullying, gossip, and in-group out-group conflicts,” Wieman said: 

“SGA is of course a part of the community system so in no way is it removed from the culture we see at Loyola and even mimics to a greater extent the social dysfunction we see in our community.”

In addressing what she sees as a flawed system, Wieman spoke of reorganizing SGA’s procedures, or even temporarily discontinuing its governing power. 

“I think it would do Loyola good to temporarily disband SGA or admonish parts of the SGA Constitution and By-Laws as we know that outdated government documents never serve their constituents appropriately. And it is very important to remember that SGA is a STUDENT government; it is unhealthy for members of SGA to serve in their role as if they are actual politicians because that prioritizes personal interest and subtracts from the needs of the study body.”

Currently, Wieman is focused on engaging with the Loyola community outside of SGA. 

On March 4, the student body received an email from the SGA president’s address about applying for the 2021-22 SGA Executive Board. The email is signed by Francisco Echaniz ‘21, who according to SGA’s website as of March 10, is the vice president for policy and advocacy. His signature on this email, however, reads “Student Body President – Student Government Association.” By March 12, the website was updated to match what the signature indicates. 

The Greyhound responded to this email on the same day, addressed to both [email protected] and [email protected], in regards to this signature change. Upon following up once, then forwarding the email chain to an additional address, The Greyhound has not received any comments from SGA. 

The Greyhound is currently working on a story about any other shifts in executive power that have yet to be announced to the student body. If you have any tips or additional information on this topic, please email [email protected].

UPDATE AS OF MARCH 12, 10:33AM:

At 10:15am, Francisco Echaniz ’21 responded to The Greyhound’s request for comment. He said:

The role of Student Body President has been filled by myself. I previously served in the role of Vice President for Policy and Advocacy, and according to SGA’s by-laws and constitution, the role of Student Body President had to be filled by either the Vice President for Policy and Advocacy or the Vice President of Social Affairs. After extensive discussions, the current administration decided these steps were the best for the organization and the University. Because of the shift and vacancy in the role of Vice President for Policy and Advocacy, the organization appointment Caitlin O’Donnell (’22) to the position for the reminder of the 2020-2021 academic year.

We are in the process of updating SGA’s website with these position changes, and it be completed by the end of the week. To be respectful of everyone involved in this change, we will not be releasing a formal statement.

UPDATE AS OF MARCH 12, 6PM:

Later in the evening, after Echaniz stated that SGA would not make an official statement, SGA published one on their Instagram. It said:

“SGA apologizes for its decision to not make a formal statement on the transition of power within the BIG 3 positions to the student body.

On January 13, Nikki Wieman (’21) resigned as Student Body President. Following this resignation, SGA looked to its by-laws and constitution for how to proceed. If the position of Student Body President becomes vacant during the academic year, either the Vice President for Policy and Advocacy or the Vice President of Social Affairs will move into that position.

For the remained of the 2020-2021 academic year, the position of Student Body President will be held by Francisco Echaniz (’21). Echaniz was previously in the position of Vice President for Policy and Advocacy. Due to the vacancy in the position of Vice President for Policy and Advocacy, an appointment process was held where Caitlin O’Donnell (’22) was nominated and approved by a two-thirds majority to fill this position on January 27.

After both vacancies within the BIG 3 were filled, there has been an extensive adjustment period for these individuals to learn and act on their new duties and responsibilities. Again, SGA would like to apologize for not communicating the transition of power within the BIG 3 positions to the student body earlier.

In order to maintain better transparency, SGA welcomes and encourages the student body to give their feedback as well as attend its full organization meetings on bi-weekly Wednesday nights. If interested, please contact SGA’s Chief Operating Officer at [email protected].”