Baltimore County gives the green light for fall high school sports

For high school athletes that play a fall sport, the wait is over. Baltimore County’s Board of Education has announced the resumption of all high school fall sports.

The intended start date for fall sports is Feb. 13 but depends on the trend of COVID-19 in Baltimore. The sports that will be played include football, soccer, golf, cheerleading, field hockey, and volleyball. The vote was nine to one and was administered by Dr. Erin Hager, who said that the plan put in place to conduct the season was contingent on the athletes finding transportation. She said that since fall sports usually begin in August, this plan would include “student-athletes finding their own transportation for the three weeks in August before schools opening.”

All signs point toward Baltimore County conducting a full season for fall sports as long as COVID-19 does not worsen in the area. Hager added that:

“We have to watch the metrics and if things go awry, then we obviously won’t be able to move forward. But the past two weeks have been moving in the right direction so trying to be positive,” as quoted by The Baltimore Sun.  

Baltimore County having confidence in conducting a fall sports season with a set plan in place should excite athletes and their parents.

While Baltimore County is moving forward with plans to hold a fall sports season, Anne Arundel County announced similar plans to hold their fall sports season. Their intended start date is the same as Baltimore County’s, Feb. 13, with plans to conclude the season on April 17.

Having a fall sports season in Baltimore County is great for everyone involved. For the athletes, it will feel great to play once again, and it will hopefully provide a distraction from the outside world.

Featured Image courtesy of Daniel Norin via Unsplash