Cogito, ergo sum

If you already thought Billie Eilish was amazing, get ready to be blown out of the water with her latest single, “Therefore I Am”— a catchy, badass song that you cannot help but sing along to. Seventeen explains the background of the song best, saying:

“In this context, it seems like Billie is talking to those in her life who try to control her. She is saying that she is an individual with her own mind and she does not need someone else making decisions for her.”

Eilish “couldn’t care less” what people have to say about her because she loves herself enough to control her own narrative and seems to prompt others to do the same. She’s carefree, and she does what she loves, always. Eilish shows this best in the music video that followed the release of the song. The video takes places in an empty mall at 4am where she is able to show the goofy side of her personality as she runs around the mall. 

I think perhaps the best part about this music video is her outfit, which is fire as usual. However, that’s not the only thing that makes this latest hit so great. In the music video, she lives out everyone’s dream by being able to run through an empty mall and pick up free food from every place she passes. Whether it is chips from Chipotle or a pretzel from Wetzel’s Pretzels, it is mouth-watering to watch. 

And, if none of that sways you to listen to Eilish or to watch the music video, hopefully the newest TikTok trend, which uses the song, does. One of the biggest adaptations of this trend involves using one’s own voice to input the lyric, “Stop…What the hell are you talking about?”

In my opinion, this is one of the best, most versatile songs Eilish has ever dropped. Stream it now on Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube Music.

Featured Image courtesy of Ulber Romero Fajardo