Hubie Halloween: trick or treat?

Netflix released a new Halloween movie on Oct. 7, starring Adam Sandler as the lead. The film has an extensive celebrity cast including Julie Bowen, Kevin James, Maya Rudolph, Shaquille O’Neal, and many other familiar faces who have been a part of numerous movies by Happy Madison Productions.

No stranger to comedy, Sandler has starred in hits such as the “Grown Ups” movies, “Happy Gilmore,” “The Waterboy,” and “Billy Madison.” Although “Hubie Halloween” takes a slightly different route with its holiday theme, it is not missing Sandler’s goodhearted comedic charm.

This spooky Halloween comedy takes place in Salem, Massachusetts, a town known for the Salem witch trials and other unnerving and inexplicable events.

Hubie Dubois, the main character, is played by Sandler. Hubie is the town laughingstock, a server at the local deli, and a kind community volunteer. He is known in Salem for reporting outrageous and uncorroborated things to the police and being somewhat eccentric. When people start disappearing on Halloween, Hubie takes it upon himself to find the assailant and rescue those who have been kidnapped.

With the eye-catching cast and festive theme, it is no surprise that “Hubie Halloween” is trending not only on Netflix, but also on well-known movie charts. A Forbes contributor reported, “Adam Sandler’s film became just the second movie to ever spend 14 consecutive days atop the Daily Top 10 list.”

Along with applause there has been disapproval. A critic from the New York Times wrote, “Sandler has always been a repository of goofy voices, but what he thought was funny about the mannered muttering he does here is unclear.”

“Hubie Halloween” made the headlines shortly following its release after real-life news anchor, Alaina Pinto, appeared briefly in the film and was subsequently fired from her job. Fox News explained that Pinto, who played a reporter dressed as Harley Quinn in the movie, breached her contract with Boston’s WHDH Channel 7 by acting in “Hubie Halloween.”

Will this Halloween movie ever top childhood favorites such as “Halloweentown” and “Hocus Pocus”? Probably not, but you may just have to curl up on your couch with some candy and watch “Hubie Halloween” for yourself. Who knows, maybe the film’s mature humor will give you a laugh or two.

On a somber note, the movie’s closing credits feature a tribute to Cameron Boyce, a co-star and friend to many cast members. Many celebrities in “Hubie Halloween” acted in the “Grown Ups” movies with Boyce, who passed away in 2019 from epilepsy. Boyce played Sandler’s son in both “Grown Ups” films and the two are said to have had a connection and appreciation of one another. Karan Brar, Boyce’s roommate, and Peyton List, who appears in the movie as well, starred in the Disney show “Jessie” with Boyce. According to the Huffington Post, Boyce was also set to play a main role in the movie before he passed.

“Hubie Halloween” is now available on Netflix.

Featured Image courtesy of Martin Vorel via LibreShot Creative Commons