Ravens’ strong start continues with a win over Texans

The Baltimore Ravens faced off against the Houston Texans on Sunday after their hot start last week against the Cleveland Browns. The final score was 33-16, keeping the Ravens undefeated.

The first quarter came and went without any serious action. A series of punts and a field goal by Baltimore put them up 3-0 at the end of the first when Houston failed to convert on a fourth and one.

The second quarter proved to be much more action-packed as the Ravens started to put pressure on Houston. Baltimore made quick work as they capitalized on the turnover on downs with a 4 play, 34-yard drive capped off by a 1-yard pass by quarterback Lamar Jackson. Houston then responded with a march down the field with a 7 play, 75-yard drive as the Texans closed the lead to 10-7. Baltimore’s defense stepped up by forcing a fumble on a pass caught by wide receiver Keke Coutee and returned for a touchdown by linebacker L.J. Fort. Baltimore ended the second quarter with a 20-10 lead going into the half.

The Ravens continued to add to their lead in the second half as they outscored the Texans 13-6. Jackson had another stellar performance this week, finishing with 204 yards passing, 57 yards rushing, and a touchdown on 18/24 passing attempts. Running back Gus Edwards also made the most of his ten rushes, finishing the game with 73 yards. Defensive end Calais Campbell, safety DeShon Elliot, and linebacker Tyus Bowser each managed to sack quarterback Deshaun Watson, and cornerback Marcus Peters intercepted Watson in the second quarter to contribute to one of two Houston turnovers.

The Ravens open the season with an impressive 2-0 start and look very much like the same team that dominated the NFL last season. Their next game will be a tough matchup against last year’s Super Bowl champion, the Kansas City Chiefs, next Monday. The showdown between quarterbacks Patrick Mahomes and Jackson will be a must-watch for any football fan, and viewers may expect an offensive barrage from the two as both teams attempt to start the season 3-0.

For an update on this matchup and other Ravens news, check back with The Greyhound next week.

Featured Image courtesy of Karen via Flickr Creative Commons