“Dear Loyola”: new Instagram account calls attention to racism on campus

Baltimore
Baltimore

On June 18, a new post began circulating via Instagram’s story feature among students, alumni, and other community members at Loyola. It was an 8 minute, 34 second video of students’ voices accompanied by a black screen with their words running across it. The participating students shared stories of racism and discrimination during their time at Loyola, spanning class years from 2015 to 2023. 

“For too long the people of color on campus have been silenced and ignored. Maybe we are too quiet, maybe we are invisible. Here’s our stories,” the video said. 

Some students in the video called attention to racist commentary on campus. One individual highlighted their experience with negative sentiment toward the Center for Intercultural Engagement (CIE). They said:

“I heard the white kids call the CIE slave quarters.” 

Others shared stories of discrimination within classrooms, such as the experience of one student who said her professor could not differentiate between her and another black woman enrolled in the course.  

“We had no similarities. I have curly hair, she has braids. She wore glasses, and I didn’t. Even our noses were different shapes,” she said. “But, I kept receiving her papers back all throughout the semester.” 

Behind the post is a recently-launched account, @dearloyolamd, which, as of June 20, has over 500 followers and 2 additional posts. The video has over 12,800 views as of the same date, in addition to another 23,500 views on the same video posted by Jaiden Gordon ‘23 on her personal account, @jaidenallyiah. According to an article by The Baltimore Sun, Gordon began working on the video earlier this month. She said she fears a rise in racial tension on campus and is worried for her safety when it comes time to return. 

@dearloyolamd also shared a list of faculty and members of the administration to send the video to via email. 

A list of people to send the video to, posted by @dearloyolamd

The Baltimore Sun also reported that Gordon received an email from President Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J., but that it did little to address her concerns. 

Molly Robey, assistant director of communications, told The Baltimore Sun that although she could not speak about the specificities of the video, the University is committed to listening. 

“Listening to the voices of those who have had painful experiences involving racism and exclusion at Loyola is essential,” said Robey. “We recognize that we have a great deal of work to do to become a more welcoming, inclusive, anti-racist university, and we are grateful to the students and alumni who are coming forward to share their stories.” 

On her personal Instagram, Gordon noted that more student stories will be shared via @dearloyolamd. Additionally, the account will keep followers updated on any actions from the University in response to the video. 

“Expect full transparency,” Gordon said. 

Follow The Greyhound for updates on this story.

Featured Image Courtesy of Luke Walker via Flickr Creative Commons