Loyola to extend online-only instruction until April 14

On Mar. 13, President Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J. emailed the Loyola community regarding an extension in online-only instruction. 

In the wake of Maryland’s first COVID-19 case by community transmission, the President writes: 

“Recognizing that this is a watershed moment in Maryland’s battle against COVID-19, we have made the decision to extend our online-only instruction period, which will begin on Wednesday, March 18. As of this moment, we plan to resume face-to-face classes for graduate students on Monday, April 13, and for undergraduate students on Tuesday, April 14, after the Easter Break. We will be regularly reassessing whether to change that date to a later one, and we will certainly give our students, families, and faculty as much notice as possible if it changes.” 

The email also acknowledges students currently studying abroad, who have been advised to return to the United States for the remainder of the semester. Linnane writes, “Loyola’s study abroad program, which is a point of distinction for us among our peers, offers an extraordinary array of intellectual and cultural experiences to our students. I feel so disappointed for our students who are having to cut those experiences short.” Also included was the Patriot League’s decision to cancel the rest of the athletic season, made on Mar. 12.

In conclusion, Linnane said:

“This is not the spring semester you—or any of us—imagined. This time of the year is typically packed with anticipated and treasured events and occasions, lectures and gatherings. It must be particularly difficult and sad for our students to be separated from our campus at this time, when the warm weather draws students to the Humanities Porch and to hammocks on the Quad. There is a sadness and an emptiness. There is also an expectant anticipation, a realization that this space is waiting for students to return. I hope that is soon, but we cannot be sure. But I have faith that you will stay in close communication with friends wherever you are. And, I hope you know, that wherever you go, Loyola is also your home.”

Again, Loyola’s Counseling Center, Campus Ministry, student life office, and Student Health Services are available to provide additional support.