No. 11 Men’s lacrosse holds on in strong team effort against Rutgers 

The men’s lacrosse team got out to a 7-3 lead then held on for an 11-10 victory against Rutgers on Saturday at Ridley Athletic Complex. They improved to 2-1 thanks to stellar play from a number of Greyhounds.

Face-off specialist Bailey Savio ’21 set a Patriot League record with 18 ground balls and won an astounding 23/24 face-offs in the victory. Joey Kamish ’23 scored his first three collegiate goals, including the game-winner. 

Aidan Olmstead ’21 scored a hat trick with two assists, and Peter Swindell ’20 scored two goals and an assist. The Hounds got several key contributions on defense as well. Ryan McNulty ‘20 had a goal with three ground balls, and short stick midfielder Payton Rezanka ’22 caused four turnovers. Long-pole Scott Middleton ’22 logged his first collegiate goal.

Sam Shafer ’21 made nine saves in goal, and Colton Teitelbaum ’23 stepped in to make a save on the game’s final possession. 

Loyola got out to a 3-0 lead in the first quarter with goals from Swindell, Kevin Lindley ’21, and Kamish. Rutgers struck first in the second quarter, but Kamish responded with his second goal. 

The Scarlet Knights narrowed the Loyola lead to 4-3 with two more goals, but then the Hounds snatched the momentum back with three straight goals to end the half, including two in a span of eight seconds from McNulty and Middleton.

Rutgers, however, made some adjustments at halftime and dominated the third quarter. They scored four unanswered goals to tie the game at 7-7, then scored the first goal of the fourth quarter to take their first lead of the game.

Olmstead tied the game at eight with an unassisted goal, but Rutgers quickly retook the lead. Swindell answered again to tie it at nine, but the Scarlet Knights bounced back in front with a goal from Brennan Kamish, Joey’s older brother. 

Olmstead scored his second clutch unassisted goal – this time one-handed –  with 3:28 remaining, making the score 10-10. Loyola got their game-winning opportunity on a fast break moments later, as Cam Wyers ’22 advanced the ball to Kamish, who buried a shot on the run to score his third with 1:53 remaining. 

Rutgers had one chance to send the game to overtime after calling a timeout with four seconds to go, but the Greyhound defense made one last stop to ice the 11-10 victory.

The Hounds end their early homestand on Wednesday evening when Towson comes to Ridley for a match-up at 7:00 p.m.

Featured Image Courtesy of Loyola Athletics.