Men’s Basketball continues conference slide with loss at Bucknell

The men’s basketball team suffered another Patriot League loss on Saturday night, as they fell on the road to Bucknell 98-83. Loyola led 47-45 early in the second half, but the Bison exploded for a 15-1 run to pull away for good.

Andrew Kostecka ’20 and Isaiah Hart ’21 each scored 18 points, while KaVaughn Scott ’20 and Golden Dike ’23 each had 13. Jaylen Andrews ’22 posted a stat line of seven points, seven rebounds, and five assists. 

Loyola controlled the first half, leading by as many as seven points. The Bison stole the momentum at the end of the half, coming back to take a narrow 42-41 lead at the break.

The game was slow and physical, as the teams combined for 78 free throws. Loyola went 31-46 while Bucknell went 21-32, but the free-throw advantage could not stop the Bison from going on two extensive scoring runs in the second half. 

The first run started early in the second half, as Bucknell turned a two-point deficit to a 12-points lead with 14:42 to go. Loyola caught up to make the score 61-56, but the Bison responded with an 11-1 run to lead 72-57 with just under 10 minutes left. 

The lead would remain double digits the rest of the way, as the Hounds could not capitalize on their free throw opportunities. Bucknell would hold on for a 98-83 win to improve to 5-3 in the Patriot League, while Loyola drops to 1-7 in the conference and 9-12 overall.

The Patriot League schedule rolls on, as the Hounds travel to Boston University this Wednesday evening. The game tips off at 6 p.m.

Featured Image Courtesy of Loyola Athletics.