Selena Gomez releases third studio album, “Rare”

On Jan. 10, Selena Gomez released her third studio album entitled “Rare,” which just went no. 1 on the Billboard album charts this week. Fans have long awaited another album from Gomez since her last studio album “Revival” was released over five years ago in 2015. Gomez returns with her personal quirky style of pop, but some songs maintain a more techno-dance beat. “Rare” showcases Gomez’s vulnerability and ability to reclaim her own narrative following highly publicized break-ups from former boyfriends Justin Bieber and The Weeknd.

After transitioning away from her childhood background with Disney, Gomez first reflected on her own experiences and finding her own voice within the album “Revival. However, over the past five years, Gomez has experienced more adversity in her life than ever before. Gomez has been open about her struggles with anxiety, depression, and Lupus. In 2017, she underwent a kidney transplant, and in 2018 she entered a rehab facility citing her struggles with anxiety and depression as the cause.

In the midst of her personal struggles, she released several singles such as “Bad Liar,” “Wolves,” and collaborated on the hit “Taki Taki.” She also served as an executive producer on Netflix’s popular television series “13 Reasons Why.” Besides occasional public appearances, along with fashion outings and musical releases, Gomez took time to focus on her mental health and well-being. She told Zane Lowe earlier this month, “I just needed to let my old self go.”

“Rare” is a celebration of Gomez’s resilience, independence, and self-growth. In the title track  Gomez sings “You don’t care/Why don’t recognize that I’m so rare” singing that she has recognized her own self-worth, even though her ex-lover did not. In the 12th song “Cut You Off” she details her ability to move on from a toxic situation and relationship through the chorus “When I’m without you/I don’t overthink it, I just carry on, get/You out my head now/I just cut you off.”

Gomez detailed her sadness and heartbreak in the lead single “Lose You to Love Me,” released on Oct. 23, that previously skyrocketed to #1 on Global Spotify, YouTube, and earned Gomez her first no. 1 Hot 100 hit. But “Rare” does not just dwell in heartache and personal conflicts but rather showcases the pop star’s ability to overcome obstacles and come out on top with a clean slate.

In the 13th track “A Sweeter Place,” which features rapper Kid Cudi, Gomez sings during the bridge,“Having no fear/Heaven is near/Head is so clear/A sweeter place, my sweeter place,” further solidifying her personal prosperity.

“Rare” debuted in the United States as the no. 1 album, selling 112k units in its first week. “Rare” marks Selena Gomez’s third consecutive album to achieve a no. 1 spot. It appears that Gomez’s message of self-love has resonated with her beloved fans, as many are awaiting to see if Gomez will release tour dates to accompany this album, as she did with “Revival.”

On Jan. 15 Gomez shared a picture of herself with a new tattoo on her neck that says “Rare,” which symbolizes just how much this album means to her and all of the strength it took for her to make such a soul-bearing celebration of her struggles and self-love.

Feature Image: Courtesy of Interscope Records.