Women’s basketball falls to Howard University in home opener

The women’s basketball team fell to Howard University by a score of 75-69 in their home opener on Wednesday night. The loss dropped the Greyhounds to 1-3, while the Bison jumped above .500 to 3-2.

Stephanie Karcz ’20 had her 20th career double-double, posting 12 points, 11 rebounds, and six steals. Delaney Connolly ’21 led the home side in scoring with 15 points and seven rebounds, and Laryn Edwards ’22 hit double figures as well with 11 points and seven rebounds. Emily McAteer ’23 had nine points off the bench.

The first quarter went back and forth for the duration of the period. Five points from Alexis Gray ’20 put the Hounds ahead after 10 minutes, 14-13. Loyola managed to gain a six-point lead early in the second quarter, but Howard responded with a 7-0 run to retake the lead. The two teams traded baskets until the end of the half, and the Bison had the 32-29 advantage after 20 minutes.

Loyola jumped out to their biggest lead of the game to start the third quarter, eventually taking a seven-point lead at 46-39 with two minutes left in the period. The Hounds forced a number of turnovers in this part of the game.

The Bison came out of a full timeout and turned the game right around. They went on a mini 8-3 run to close the gap to 49-47 at the end of the quarter. Howard took this momentum into the final period, as they outscored the Hounds 28-20. Loyola stuck around though, and an Edwards three-point play made the score 69-65 with 2:26 to go.

Karcz made four clutch free throws to tie the game at 69, but the Hounds failed to score any more points. A Howard layup and four more free throws iced the game, 75-69.

Loyola goes back on the road to face St. Francis University in Brooklyn this weekend. The game tips off on Sunday at 1 p.m. 

Featured Image Courtesy of Loyola Athletics.