Men’s soccer shuts out Boston University, clinches home game in Patriot League Tournament

The men’s soccer team (10-7-1, 6-2) blanked Boston University 3-0 on Saturday to remain second in the Patriot League standings. The win guarantees the Greyhounds a home game in the Patriot League tournament.

Josh Fawole ’20 had a hand in all three Greyhound goals, scoring two himself and assisting on a Brian Saramago ’20 shot. The two seniors have been at the forefront of Loyola’s recent offensive success, accounting for 12 goals and 10 assists in the last eight games. Jonathan Sousa ’20 and Davey Mason ’20 each had an assist.

Scoring chances in the first half were sparse. The Hounds managed to get two early shots on goal, and BU only managed one shot in the entire first half.

Fawole opened the scoring in the 55th minute. Sousa received the ball on the right side of the box, then passed to Fawole in front of the goal. Fawole deflected the ball just over goalie Michael Stone’s head to give the Hounds a 1-0 lead.

The lead grew to 2-0 on Loyola’s next possession when Fawole’s pass into the box was deflected by Mason and sent directly to Saramago, who lifted the ball out of Stone’s reach for the goal.

Saramago and Fawole teamed up for the final goal in the 84th minute, when Saramago sent a long pass into the box and Fawole made a sliding effort to tip the ball in.

The Greyhound backline completely shut out the Terrier offense. They held the home team to just five shots, none of which were on goal.

Loyola finished the season tied with Lehigh for the No. 1 seed in the Patriot League Tournament. They will host either Navy, Lafayette or Colgate in the semifinal round next Tuesday at Ridley. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.

Image Courtesy of Loyola Athletics.