Women’s tennis places second at Loyola Invitational

The duo of Kateri Martin ‘21 and Abigail Thornton ’21 took second place in this weekend’s Loyola Women’s Tennis Invitational at the McClure Tennis Center. Martin and Thornton each won three of their four singles matches, then teamed together to win two out of four doubles matches.

The pair began with a 6-4 duos win over Lafayette on Friday. Both players then won their first singles matches of the tournament. Martin won 6-0, 6-1, while Thornton won 6-2, 6-1 to advance to the quarterfinals. They dropped their next doubles match 6-2 to George Mason, but they both rebounded for singles victories.

Martin and Thornton played three more matches against George Mason. The duo won 6-3 in doubles to advance to the final round, but they were bested by the Patriots pair of Paige La and Hannah Yang. Thornton defeated Yang after Yang left with an injury, but La beat Martin in an exciting 7-5, 6-2 match to take first place.

Alex Agee ’20 and Lin Robertson ’20 won three of their four doubles matches at the event. They swept through Mount St. Mary’s on Friday, but then fell to Lafayette on Saturday. However, both players bounced back with singles wins later that day, as Agee won 6-4, 6-3 and Robertson won 6-2, 6-0. On Sunday, they slipped past a George Mason duo 7-6 (4) in doubles to earn fifth place. Robertson ended her weekend with another singles victory as well, winning 6-2, 6-3.

Sydney Lund ’23 and Taylor Kuncl ’23 finished in eighth place. The pair beat a Mount St. Mary’s duo on Friday to advance to the quarterfinals, but they fell to George Mason, despite two singles victories by Lund. On the final day, Kuncl defeated a Lafayette opponent in a thrilling 6-7, 7-5, 6-4 singles match to earn eighth place.

Sandra Aguirre ’22, Abby Decker ’22, and Julia Thompson ’22 all placed ninth after falling in the first round on Friday. Decker’s 6-3, 6-2 singles win in the consolation semifinals allowed her and Aguirre to defeat a Lafayette duo in the consolation final.

Brooke Santoriello ’22 and Genevieve Wurtz ‘22 took 13th place, winning their final two matches of the weekend after losing in the first round. They swept through their matches on Saturday, then defeated Mount St. Mary’s 3-0 on Sunday.

The women’s tennis team is back in action on Wednesday, when Dickinson College comes to the McClure Tennis Center for a 3 p.m. matchup.

Featured Image Courtesy of Loyola Athletics.