Fall semester at Loyola to be conducted fully online

On Aug. 6, President Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J., announced via email that the upcoming fall semester will be conducted entirely online. Linnane said: 

“It is with deep sadness and tremendous disappointment that I write to share that we have made the decision to move the Fall 2020 semester for undergraduate students fully online. This is difficult news for our students and families to receive. I sincerely wish that we could safely welcome our students back to campus for a full residential experience this fall.”

The president explained that the planning process behind inviting students to campus required “COVID-19 to diminish over the summer.” In addition to the pandemic failing to decline, testing resources have not become more readily available in the past few months. Linnane cited a lack of assurance in receiving timely results. He also noted the current situation in Maryland, writing: 

“Meanwhile, we see a concerning rise in COVID-19 cases in Maryland, particularly among younger age groups. Locally, daily confirmed cases have almost doubled from what they were just a month ago and are likely to continue to increase. Your health and safety and the health and safety of our community are of prime importance—and our Catholic tradition calls us to value and protect life.”

According to Linnane, the faculty members at Loyola have dedicated time over the last few months to learning about digital pedagogy. He noted that the classes will be “as interactive as possible,” including synchronous sessions and virtual office hours. 

The revised calendar for the semester, which included classes on Labor Day and a few additional Saturdays, has been cancelled, restoring the original plan. 

The spring 2021 calendar has been modified with a new start date, pushing the first day of the semester from Jan. 11 to Jan. 19. In regards to spring study abroad plans, the programs remain scheduled as of now. A final decision will be made on their status no later than Oct. 26. 

The Patriot League has already cancelled any fall competition. Status updates on the winter season are not expected until later this fall. 

Room and board payments will be refunded automatically. The $700 comprehensive fee will not be charged, or will be refunded if it has already been paid. 

Tuition will remain as published. Linnane said: 

“Our tuition charges will remain as published for the fall. We are making significant investments to be able to provide first-class online instruction from our faculty, expert scholars and mentors who are dedicated to guiding and supporting students on their way to personal and professional success.”

Through virtual and telehealth services, the Counseling Center, Disability Support Services, the Study, and the Career Center will continue to provide support to Loyola students. Additionally, the Ignatius Scholars Program, Multicultural Awareness Pre-Fall Program, Fall Welcome Weekend, and various student activities are still scheduled, virtually, throughout the fall semester. 

Students facing financial hardship are encouraged to reach out to the office of financial aid. The Loyola community is also invited to support the Emergency Relief Fund to “help ensure that a Loyola education is accessible to all our students.”

Emergency housing will be offered to a very limited number of students. The application process will be available soon.  

Keep up-to-date with The Greyhound for more about fall 2020 at Loyola.