Long-Weekend Events on Campus Kick-off New Semester

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.loyola.edu%2Fjoinus%2Fajcu-safety

Starting on Friday, September 4, there will be a series of events on campus to welcome students back to school. Courtesy of the Student Support and Wellness Program (SSWP), the Student Government Association (SGA), and Student Engagement, the entire long weekend will be packed with activities.

The first event, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, there will be a table outside of Maryland Hall promoting SSWP called “Dog Days Promotion” featuring therapy dogs that students usually only get to see at the Loyola/Notre Dame Library during Finals Week. This event is designed to attract students who want to know more about SSWP, a Loyola program that “is committed to promoting individual development and fostering relationships for and with others,” and anyone who really loves dogs.

Next on Friday, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., SGA is hosting the annual Initium Crab Fest, which is a huge deal to anyone from Maryland or now calls Maryland his or her home. Tickets are required to attend the feast and will be sold at the Box Office for $20. It is an all-you-can-eat crab buffet along with other food choices.

Friday night concludes with Loyola Night Life in McGuire Hall from 9 p.m. to midnight featuring DJ Amaze. The event, sponsored by Student Engagement as a substitution to off-campus nightlife, will have music, dancing, drinks, and snacks.

There are several other events happening throughout Friday at assorted areas on campus. The African, Latino, Asian, Native American (ALANA) Services’ “Welcome Back Barbeque” will be in the Gardens Volleyball Pit from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. ALANA welcomes all previous and prospective members to come for food, games, and to meet new people.

Friday also marks the beginning of this semester’s Midnight Breakfasts in Boulder Garden Cafe. Midnight Breakfast is served from midnight to 2 a.m. Of course Friday’s events are only the beginning of the first weekend back at school line-up. Following Saturday evening’s soccer game at Ridley Field, “Jurassic World” will be shown on the big screen.

Sunday, September 6, the Charleston side of campus is hosting the Charleston Block Party in Hopkins Court from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and in Gardens’ Volleyball Pit from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Students are reminded that Monday, September 7, is Labor Day, so there will be no classes. On the field by Flannery O’Connor Hall there will be a Slip n’ Slide to promote Initium Week for Messina classes.

Whether it is a student’s first Welcome Back Weekend or last, he or she will be able to find something exciting to do this weekend.