The Grammy Performances In Review

This past Sunday was what pop culture has labeled the biggest night in music: The Grammy Awards.  The Grammy’s bring together artists of every genre to perform and show off what they are made of. If you missed the show (or just want to relive it), here is a review and rating of some of the best of the 23 performances that made up Sunday’s show.

Rated out of 5 stars.

AC/DC opened the show and got the crowd going with “Highway To Hell.” The energy of the performance was on point, but the relevancy of AC/DC in 2015 was shaky especially with Kanye, Rihanna, Beyonce and Sam Smith all ready to perform. ★★1/2

Miranda Lambert, in a complete leather jumpsuit, came out and showed off her rock side with a performance of “Little Red Wagon” and it was clear she was there for a party. She showed off what it means to be a country artist in 2015 and did not let pop and rock stars outshine her country ways. ★★★ 1/2

Kanye West hadn’t performed on the Grammys for six years until last night. His performance of “Only One” was personal and intimate. The song, thought to be about his daughter North as well a his late mother was the perfect way to come back to the Grammys. Though I don’t know whether his maroon tracksuit was the best choice, the emotional significance of the performance made it one of the best of the night. ★★★★ 1/2

Madonna followed Kanye and she performed her new song, “Living For Love.” Though some of her dance moves were a little age inappropriate, showing you just how hard she was trying to be relevant, you can’t deny how amazing she still is at 56 years old. ★★★

Ed Sheeran and John Mayer came together to sing Sheeran’s love lullaby, “Thinking Out Loud.” With John Mayer on the guitar, and Sheeran singing, the entire collaboration was perfection. Though the performance raised the question, what is Taylor Swift–Sheeran’s friend and Mayer’s ex–thinking about this? ★★★★

Adam Levine and Gwen Stefani performed the Maroon 5 song “My Heart Is Open.” From working together on The Voice, the two simply know how to collaborate and sing with one another. ★★★★1/2

Hozier came to the stage and sang his hit, “Take Me To Church.” In the middle of the performance, Annie Lennox came onstage to sing with him. Then together, they rocked out and sang “I Put A Spell On You.” They were the perfect collaboration, and showed what the Grammys are all about. ★★★★1/2

Pharrell created some buzz around his Happy performance. With his bellhop outfit and sparkly yellow sneakers, everything about it showed off his personality, though he was lacking the big hat. The song is starting to get old, and the performance was in general a bit strange, which didn’t make me feel happy. ★1/2

With the introduction by Barack Obama and the PSA about domestic violence, came the intense performance of “By the Grace of God” by Katy Perry. Coming off of her huge Super Bowl performance, the performance at the Grammy’s was the perfect way to make the necessary statement. It was understated, and all about the message and the impact of the lyrics. ★★★★

Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett came on stage to celebrate their collaborative hit, “Cheek to Cheek.” The two have 60 years separating them in age, but music brings them together. Lady Gaga seems to be becoming less popular, and Tony Bennett seemed out of place on stage with Lady Gaga singing into his ear. ★

Rihanna, Kanye West and Paul McCartney came together to sing “FourFiveSeconds.” The performance and song showed a different side to each and every one of them. The song was less rap and hip-hop inspired, something that was surprising and exciting. The three of them are extremely talented individually, and coming together created even more magic.★★★★★

Sam Smith brought out the gospel version of “Stay With Me.” With the huge success of the song, and him walking away with the most wins that night, the performance brought lots of excitement. Though Smith could have held his own without Mary J. Blige, their voices together sounded perfect. ★★★★ 1/2

Sia “performed” Chandelier, however the real performer was Kristin Wiig. Sia sang in a corner and looked at a wall with similar hair and clothing, but never showed her face. Though it was artistic, and unusual, it raised the question, is Sia actually singing? ★★ 1/2

Beck, the winner for Album of the Year, performed with Chris Martin of Coldplay. The two possess the same mellow, alternative rock vibe, and together, magic occurred. Though a sedated performance, the combination of the two of them was perfect. ★★★ 1/2

Beyoncé had an emotionally driven performance showing the impact of “hands up don’t shoot.” There was nothing crazy or outlandish about the performance. It was simple. Beyoncé’s performance led into John Legend and Common singing “Glory” from the movie Selma. The performance had a deeper meaning about equality and it left the show on a powerful note. ★★★ 1/2

Photo via InTouchWeekly.com